Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 64
    #1

    laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    - So you wanna hear a story? Well, I used to know a whole lot of pretty interesting ones, some of them so funny you'd laugh yourself unconscious, others so terrible you'd never want to repeat them. But now I can't remember any of those ...


    Is it natural to say "you'd laugh youself unconscious"?
    Does it mean "you'd laugh unconsciously"?
    In the above context, what other ways in which you might say it?

    "Others so terrible you'd never want to repeat them", what do you think the word 'terrible' here mean?
    Does it mean other stories are not very good, so you don't want to repeat them? Or they are scary stories, so you don't want to repeat them?

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Heidi L; 21-Apr-2015 at 14:22.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #2

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    It means you would laugh until you passed out. Lost consciousness. Became unconscious.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 64
    #3

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    It means you would laugh until you passed out. Lost consciousness. Became unconscious.
    Thank you, Dave. How about the word 'terrible' next? I just added another question.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #4

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    I would think he means "scary, causing one to feel terror."

  1. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,826
    #5

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi L View Post
    In the above context, what other ways in which you might say it?
    I found 'die laughing' below. Could it be used instead? Not a teacher.
    http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionarie...e_1#die_1__274

  2. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,592
    #6

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    Hi, Heidi!

    You asked:

    Is it natural to say "you'd laugh youself unconscious"? No.
    Does it mean "you'd laugh unconsciously"?
    No. It means you laughed until you were unconscious.

    "Others are so
    terrible you'd never want to repeat them." What do you think the word 'terrible' here mean? It means they were stupid or tasteless.

    "Laugh yourself unconscious" is not an Americanism. We don't say that. We would say "laugh yourself silly" - meaning laugh until you're delirious, incoherent, dazed, confused, dizzy, stunned.

    "Die laughing" would be okay to use there, but we use it more often as a prediction of the future than a report on the past: "The movie is so funny you'll die laughing."
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 21-Apr-2015 at 15:02.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 64
    #7

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Hi, Heidi!

    You asked:

    Is it natural to say "you'd laugh youself unconscious"? No.
    Does it mean "you'd laugh unconsciously"?
    No. It means you laughed until you were unconscious.

    "Others are so
    terrible you'd never want to repeat them." What do you think the word 'terrible' here mean? It means they were stupid or tasteless.

    "Laugh yourself unconscious" is not an Americanism. We don't say that. We would say "laugh yourself silly" - meaning laugh until you're delirious, incoherent, dazed, confused, dizzy, stunned.

    "Die laughing" would be okay to use there, but we use it more often as a prediction of the future than a report on the past: "The movie is so funny you'll die laughing."
    Thanks Charlie.

    Those sentences come from https://tw.voicetube.com/videos/14419

    Maybe you have time to check if what the man said matches the sentences on the right-hand side?
    Last edited by Heidi L; 21-Apr-2015 at 15:31.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 64
    #8

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    "Others are so
    terrible you'd never want to repeat them." What do you think the word 'terrible' here mean? It means they were stupid or tasteless.
    Very interesting, Charlie. So you think differently than Dave, right?

    The man said he knew a lot of pretty interesting stories, some of them are funny, some are terrible. If he think some of them are stupid or tastless, why does he think they are interesting at the same time?

    Besides, now he can't remember any of those, but he knows they are funny or terrible. Isn't it a bit strange?
    Last edited by Heidi L; 21-Apr-2015 at 16:08.

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,826
    #9

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi L View Post
    laugh unconsciously
    I take it to mean 'laugh unknowingly', which doesn't make sense.
    Am I right or wrong? Not a teacher.

  4. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,592
    #10

    Re: laugh youself unconscious - what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi L View Post
    Very interesting, Charlie. So you think differently than Dave, right?

    The man said he knew a lot of pretty interesting stories, some of them are funny, some are terrible. If he think some of them are stupid or tastless, why does he think they are interesting at the same time?

    Besides, now he can't remember any of those, but he knows they are funny or terrible. Isn't it a bit strange?
    First of all, now that I've seen the video: I was wrong about terrible. Now I think he means scary, upsetting.

    The translation is good. Some fixes:

    - In two places it says wired instead of weird.

    - It should say Mom and Dad, not Mom and did.

    - It should say Not that IT made any difference.

    - There were a few capitals missing, but you know how to fix those.

    - He uses the expression It was nothing left to do. In the U.S., we'd say THERE was, but IT was is probably a Britishism.

    About his comment that he can't remember all the stories, two things:

    - This is a whimsical narrative. He should not be taken too literally.

    - At the end, we learn that time has passed and he has become for mature (and more ordinary). So here's what I think: the magic of childhood is receding. When he says he can't remember, it's an early hint that he's a grown-up now and his memories have faded.

    Thank, Heidi! Loved the video! I'm going to share it with friends.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. laugh at
    By worcester in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2013, 20:14
  2. [General] knocked him unconscious/ almost shook the life out of him
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2011, 16:11
  3. Youself
    By Allen165 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2010, 20:45
  4. reason, alarming, unconscious
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2009, 08:04
  5. you can still laugh out?
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2009, 18:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •