• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Are all these options correct?

I read a sentence in a passage: It is useful in that it lets him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

(a) Is this okay(?):
    It is useful in that it letting him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

(b) How about this(?): It is useful to let him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

(c) And this(?): It is useful in that it lets him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

This is no exam/assignment. It's only to check whether my understanding is okay! Thanks in advance.

Very interesting! After some research on the net, I understand that "in that" gives a different meaning actually. However, couldn't catch it full...sorry. Got it here: http://www.urch.com/forums/faqs/580-...ecause-vs.html

Please explain because it seems really very interesting to me.
    Last edited by learner7; 28-Apr-2015 at 10:40. Reason: Have researched on the net and found something interesting!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: Are all these options correct?

Who is "it"?

I would write the sentence like this:

It is useful to let him know the kinds of goods in the shop.
    It is useful for (the person) to let him know the kinds of goods (available?) in the shop.

"Of" can be omitted.

not a teacher
    Last edited by tedmc; 28-Apr-2015 at 10:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

"It" refers to advertisement in the passage. I can understand one thing I think - the meaning in the real sentence is different from my made up options and it is because of the phrase "in that". It has been said: It is useful in that it lets him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

It probably means: "Advertisement's one useful thing is that it lets him (the customer) know of the kinds of goods in the shops."

I have concluded this from the GMAT's site link I gave. Of course I can be wrong. I am a very enthusiastic learner! Therefore, please correct me in case I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 28-Apr-2015 at 18:05. Reason: Deleting unnecessary quote.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

"a" and "c" are OK.
    "b" would be possible if "it" referred to the general situation, not a specific thing (e.g. an advertisement).

"in that" means because.

Last edited by teechar; 28-Apr-2015 at 16:59.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    "a" and "c" are OK.
    "b" would be possible if "it" referred to the general situation, not a specific thing (e.g. an advertisement).

"in that" means because.

Interesting. However, natives (I'm not a native) also make a difference between "in that" and "because".

Internet is vastly used in mobile phones today. It is useful in that we can make voice calls using messengers at a very cheap rate.

If we use "because" instead of "in that" in the sentence above, we don't clearly state a particular usefulness of a mobile phone; we just state a usefulness.

In other words, when we use "in that" in a sentence, usually we answer "how" and when we use "because" in a sentence, usually we answer "why".

But Teechar you are right! "In that" and "because" are used interchangeably too. Thanks again.

Not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, sorry, none of those choices means the same thing as the first sentence.

In that
    is an idiom whose meaning is something like because. (It's short for in the sense that.)

So if you change the wording, you still need to keep the sense of because in it somehow.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    No, sorry, none of those choices means the same thing as the first sentence.

In that
    is an idiom whose meaning is something like because. (It's short for in the sense that.)

So if you change the wording, you still need to keep the sense of because in it somehow.
    And is my last post (that began with the word "Interesting") okay? Is there any mistake in my understanding? Please reply.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by learner7 View Post
    And is my last post (that began with the word "Interesting") okay? Is there any mistake in my understanding? Please reply.
    I can't find it.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.