Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I read a sentence in a passage: It is useful in that it lets him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

(a) Is this okay(?):
It is useful in [STRIKE]that it[/STRIKE] letting him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

(b) How about this(?): It is useful to let him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

(c) And this(?): It is useful [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] that it lets him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

This is no exam/assignment. It's only to check whether my understanding is okay! Thanks in advance.

Very interesting! After some research on the net, I understand that "in that" gives a different meaning actually. However, couldn't catch it full...sorry. Got it here: http://www.urch.com/forums/faqs/580-gmat-sc-because-vs.html

Please explain because it seems really very interesting to me.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Who is "it"?

I would write the sentence like this:

It is useful to let him know the kinds of goods in the shop.
It is useful for (the person) to let him know the kinds of goods (available?) in the shop.

"Of" can be omitted.

not a teacher

Last edited:

learner7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"It" refers to advertisement in the passage. I can understand one thing I think - the meaning in the real sentence is different from my made up options and it is because of the phrase "in that". It has been said: It is useful in that it lets him know of the kinds of goods in the shops.

It probably means: "Advertisement's one useful thing is that it lets him (the customer) know of the kinds of goods in the shops."

I have concluded this from the GMAT's site link I gave. Of course I can be wrong. I am a very enthusiastic learner! Therefore, please correct me in case I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"a" and "c" are OK.
"b" would be possible if "it" referred to the general situation, not a specific thing (e.g. an advertisement).

"in that" means because.

;-)

Last edited:

learner7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"a" and "c" are OK.
"b" would be possible if "it" referred to the general situation, not a specific thing (e.g. an advertisement).

"in that" means because.

;-)

Interesting. However, natives (I'm not a native) also make a difference between "in that" and "because".

Internet is vastly used in mobile phones today. It is useful in that we can make voice calls using messengers at a very cheap rate.

If we use "because" instead of "in that" in the sentence above, we don't clearly state a particular usefulness of a mobile phone; we just state a usefulness.

In other words, when we use "in that" in a sentence, usually we answer "how" and when we use "because" in a sentence, usually we answer "why".

But Teechar you are right! "In that" and "because" are used interchangeably too. Thanks again.

Not a teacher.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, sorry, none of those choices means the same thing as the first sentence.

In that
is an idiom whose meaning is something like because. (It's short for in the sense that.)

So if you change the wording, you still need to keep the sense of because in it somehow.

learner7

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
No, sorry, none of those choices means the same thing as the first sentence.

In that
is an idiom whose meaning is something like because. (It's short for in the sense that.)

So if you change the wording, you still need to keep the sense of because in it somehow.

And is my last post (that began with the word "Interesting") okay? Is there any mistake in my understanding? Please reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.