Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Were you taught any kind of phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?

Were you taught any kind of English phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?
    If not, do you consider it a pity?
    Last edited by TaiwanPofLee; 28-Apr-2015 at 14:25. Reason: Change 'a shame' to 'a pity'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Re: Were you taught any kind of phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?

Not A Teacher

I have never been taught English phonetic symbols at any level of my education.
    It is not something that I regret as I have learned to pronounce English in the way that is normal for my part of the UK.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Were you taught any kind of phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?

The only phonetic symbols I was taught were the dash over long vowels and a U over short vowels. Occasionally a short A had two dots over it, That was enough for me. In most cases, people learn pronunciation by hearing, not from phonetic symbols.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by TaiwanPofLee View Post
    Were you taught any kind of English phonetic symbols at class in your primary school? No.

If not, do you consider it a pity? No.
    I can't think of many American sounds that can't be spelled using the 26 letters.

There's a central Connecticut hiccup way of saying words with T in the middle, like button (BUH'in) and Britain (BRIH'in), that defies phonetic spelling, and there's the quick, sharp Maine inhale (>YUH!<), and there are probably a few others. But not many. Certainly not enough to warrant learning a whole phonetic system.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 28-Apr-2015 at 20:13.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The only phonetic symbols I was taught were the dash over long vowels and a U over short vowels. Occasionally a short A had two dots over it, That was enough for me. In most cases, people learn pronunciation by hearing, not from phonetic symbols.
    Good point. I wasn't thinking of umlauts and tildes and whatnot.

But, Taiwan, those sounds can also be spelled out with letters.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Sounds vs words,
    Pronunciation vs spelling,
    My concern is:
    Whether English phonetic symbols should be included in the curriculum of primary school?
    Last edited by TaiwanPofLee; 29-Apr-2015 at 09:35.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

British Council, UK:Teaching pronunciation with phonemic symbols
    ●Phonemic symbols represent the sounds of the English language.
    ●Using them can be a valuable tool to improving your students' pronunciation.
    ●It is important for teachers to know the phonemic symbols.
    ●It is not difficult to learn phonemic symbols.
    (From https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/a...onemic-symbols)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I was taught IPA as a compulsory part of the national English teachers training curriculum but ironically have hardly ever used it apart from in various professional interviews.

Strictly speaking, "reading" phonemc symbols have nothing to do with decent pronunciation, but the accent of the teacher does! (as well as anything that children can hear - class CDs, nursery rhymes, etc.) It's through hearing that we learn how to pronounce sounds and sound words, not through reading. Besides, children are generally so good at parroting!

On the other hand, doing phonemic symbols can vary the process like colouring or writing/copying, so why not? (particulary with a not very academic class)

ps. It might help to know your personal reasoning as well.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by TaiwanPofLee View Post
    Were you taught any kind of English phonetic symbols at class in your primary school?
    If not, do you consider it a pity?
    I wasn't. I started studying second languages in secondary school, but we didn't use them there either. It was only at university that I started using them at all. I'm not sure whether it's a pity as it's hard to say whether I lost out because of this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

I wasn't taught phonetic symbols in any primary school I attended, and I went to primary school in three different countries.

I do think they're very useful for non-natives when encountering an English word for the first time, though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast