• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

doing so

Quote from a Harvard open course:
    Our seats in colleges and universities, a matter, a kind of reward, an honor for those who deserve them because they’ve worked so hard, or are those seats, those opportunities and honors entitlements to legitimate expectations that depend for their justification, on those of us who enjoy them, doing so in a way that works to the benefit of those at the bottom of society.

What does "doing so" refer to here? Does it refer to the process of "their justification"?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: doing so

It's hard to say. It's a grotesque sentence. I hope it's not an English course. Do you have a link?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

I am not a teacher.

I quite agree.

This is the umpteenth post with extracts from what appears to be the same course, and the language is consistently turgid.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-May-2015 at 18:34. Reason: Fixing typo.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The first word should be "are." I think.

The sentence, I think, is trying to say something like "did those of us at Harvard get here because we earned our spot or must we now justify our spots by acting on behalf of the less fortunate?"

I think.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

No, it's not an english course , it's a philosophy course , 'Justice: What's The Right Thing To Do?' , by Michael Sandel . This is the episode 8 of the course , and the quote came at the end of episode. Maybe more context is needed :
    "What about the distribution of access of seats, in elite colleges and universities? It’s true all of you, most of you first born, worked hard, strived, developed your talents to get here, but Rawls asks, in effect, what is the moral status of your claim to the benefits that attach to the opportunities you have? Our seats in colleges and universities, a matter, a kind of reward, an honor for those who deserve them because they’ve worked so hard, or are those seats, those opportunities and honors entitlements to legitimate expectations that depend for their justification, on those of us who enjoy them, doing so in a way that works to the benefit of those at the bottom of society. "

The link of the course:
    http://www.justiceharvard.org/2011/02/episode-08/#watch
    Thank you so much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by masterding View Post
    Quote from a Harvard open course:
    Are our seats in colleges and universities, a matter, a kind of reward, an honor for those who deserve them because they’ve worked so hard, or are those seats, those opportunities and honors, entitlements to legitimate expectations that depend for their justification, on those of us who enjoy them, using those rewards in a way that works to the benefit of those at the bottom of society?

What does "doing so" refer to here? Does it refer to the process of "their justification"?
    Thanks.
    I would flunk that paper.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by masterding View Post
    The link of the course:
    http://www.justiceharvard.org/2011/02/episode-08/#watch
    Thank you so much.
    It's from a spoken lecture? You could have told us that. It probably less grotesque then.
    If you want to tell us where in the 50mins it comes, I'll listen to it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It's from a spoken lecture? You could have told us that. It probably less grotesque then.
    If you want to tell us where in the 50mins it comes, I'll listen to it.
    I 'm sorry that I didn't tell you it's from a spoken lecture in the first place.
    I 'm not pretty sure about the exact timing , because I can not watch the lecture from the link I posted , I watch it from some chinese website ,there could be some difference in timing, but I can tell it comes at the end of the lecture, the lecturer practically concluded the lecture by saying that.
    Thank you so much.