• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Advice

Guys, I have a question... I don't know who else could help me. I learn English as a second language and have trouble understanding this: "I might live in United States but on game day my heart and soul belong to bolts"
    It has nothing to do with sport team or any sport activities. Why bolts? I'd understand if there's "God" instead of bolts... Any suggestions? Thx

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Advice

Welcome to the forum.

It is important to quote your source. Who wrote that sentence?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Target375 View Post
    Guys, I have a question. I don't know who else could help me. I study English as a second language and am having trouble understanding this: "I might live in United States, but on game day my heart and soul belong to The Bolts."

It has nothing to do with a sports team or any sport activities. Why bolts? I'd understand if there's "God" instead of bolts. [Why? "God" would make even less sense.] Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Why are you sure it's not about a team? It's about game day, which means it's about sports. It sounds like an immigrant or visitor to the U.S. who likes the Bolts, a team from his or her home country.

For instance, it could be the Mercalo Bolts, a Filipino basketball team. There might be other Bolts, as well.

The speaker lives in the U.S., but on game day, our friend's heart is with another country's team.

God is not implied. "Heart and soul" is not a religious reference. It's a common expression. In that sentence, it's just a stronger way of saying "loyalty."
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 06-May-2015 at 01:25.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.