What is your philosophy on pre-reading/front-loading before starting a new text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boccaela

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With the implementation of the Common Core Learning Standards, one instructional strategy that became the subject of intense debate is the appropriateness of pre-reading/front-loading before beginning a new text. As a general principle, what position do you hold regarding pre-reading? Please feel free to discuss specific strategies, too! Thanks for the input!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I come from a different educational background, and have only seen it as one strategy and never the subject of intense debate- what's the controversy?

boccaela

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I come from a different educational background, and have only seen it as one strategy and never the subject of intense debate- what's the controversy?

There are many teachers who will pre-teach extensively before beginning a text - historical context, thematic lead-in questions, vocabulary support, etc. - and the Common Core Standards are challenging that notion, arguing that almost no pre-reading should be done and that the text should largely speak for itself. If you're interested, here is a brief article on the matter:

http://www.weareteachers.com/blogs/...should-talk-about-texts-before-they-read-them

misswildner

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With the implementation of the Common Core Learning Standards, one instructional strategy that became the subject of intense debate is the appropriateness of pre-reading/front-loading before beginning a new text. As a general principle, what position do you hold regarding pre-reading? Please feel free to discuss specific strategies, too! Thanks for the input!

As a history teacher, most of the documents I have my class read come from sources with a brief introductory/contextualizing blurb. Much of the reading process has to do with making connections to the text, and activating prior knowledge or recalling past experiences in front-loading can be an effective way to do it. For some texts, though, it's better to have students read and be left with a curiosity to build upon; I think that might apply more to ELA than to history. I generally want my students to have the context from which to better analyze the sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.