I am to meet my boss./ I am to be meeting my boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominik92

Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello all.

What is the difference among these examples?

I am to meet my boss (at 8). - I am to be meeting my boss (at 8).

I am (suppose) to do my homework - I am (suppose) to be doing my homework.

I don´t know if we are to meet again. - I don´t know if we are to be meeting again.

Are we to wait there? - Are we to be waiting there?

I feel there is a difference between these sentences but I don´t know how to explain it to myself. Could you help me with it please? I was told the red sentences mean just a fact, routine or arrangement whereas blue ones mean it is expected from me to do it. But the red ones can also mean that somebody expects something from me to do, can´t they?

The second question is maybe a bit different but still I think it is connected with the question above very closely.

Is there any difference between : I am meeting my friends and I am to be meeting my friends? ( What´s the difference between these tenses in general)

Thank you for your help!!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The word in brackets should be 'supposed' not 'suppose'.

All the blue sentences are OK, with or without 'supposed'.

All the red sentences are wrong, except the second one if you keep supposed in it. Without 'supposed' it's wrong too. All of the red ones would be acceptable if you removed 'to be' (and 'supposed') from them.

Dominik92

Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am not a teacher.

The word in brackets should be 'supposed' not 'suppose'.

All the blue sentences are OK, with or without 'supposed'.

All the red sentences are wrong, except the second one if you keep supposed in it. Without 'supposed' it's wrong too. All of the red ones would be acceptable if you removed 'to be' (and 'supposed') from them.

Thank your for your help.

It will be a big problem for me to believe my teacher in the future. She gave me exactly these sentences:

Sorry guys. I am to be heading for tea now.

and Are we to be waiting here?

...and told me that I can use it for arrangements, future routine, just a fact that I will be doing something.....

what to do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.