Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi there,
I believe the plural form of pizza wouldn't be pizzas, instead, a slice of pizza or few packets of pizza would, perhaps, be used. I am not actually sure.
However, which pronoun (singular or plural) has to be used to modify a plural form of pizza? For example, pizza has become one of the main fast foods. They/it (here, should I use "it" or "they"?) will gradually be consumed less in future.

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Italians call them pizze, but in the English-speaking world pizzas is good enough for most of us.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's fine to say "pizzas." "We ordered a couple of pizzas and a pitcher of beer."

In the U.S. we say "PEET-suh" and "PEET-suhs." We also sometimes say "pizza pie," but that's not as common as it once was.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
UM, pronouns do not modify nouns; they stand in for nouns. "It" would be used for a singular pizza; "they" would be used for plural pizzas.

We also say a slice of pizza or slices of pizza. I have never heard "packets of pizza".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can think of "pizza" as a singular, mass uncountable noun in the sentence you are trying to form. It will gradually be eaten less in the future. Americans consume lots of pizza during Super Bowl Sunday. Pizza being served in schools is a cause for concern for some nutritionists.

Status
Not open for further replies.