Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
That is your opinion. And it seems to support your field of study, so I am not surprised. But I am still not convinced.

1. When your mother read you the story Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, did you notice the sounds of "s" in "story" and "Alice's" are different?
2. When your father read you the first chapter of the story The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, did you notice the sounds of "oo" in "looked" and "room" are different as you heard "The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about the room"?
3. Can an English dictionary with phonemic symbols help you with the correct (in case your mother's and father's pronunciations were wrong) and standard sounds of the letters? Not to mention you will come upon a good many new words which you need to know or ascertain their ponunciations.

TaiwanPofLee

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I know very little about phonemic symbols and I had no trouble decoding the sentences.
Thus, it is easy to learn English phonemic symbols, especially well-thought and sensible ones.

Without consulting an English dictionary with phonemic symbols, an English learning beginner is unable to pronounce correctly these example words: colonel, Nguyen, possesses, voluptuous, suites, relishes, zucchini, recipes.

Therefore:
It is very helpful to learn English phonemic symbols in elementary school, isn't it?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. I never needed them. It is difficult for me to accept your theory over my reality and the reality of everyone I went to school with.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I didn't get what you're trying to say , is there a rule to decode a message ?
any way I'll give a try

There might be rules, but for much of the time there aren't, which is why HInEz causes trouble. The rest is fairly basic or guessable from context, but that word stumped a few of us.

Karima04

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Nice try, Karima :up: :). But the transcription can't be compared 1:1 with IPA symbols. I don't see how "yxr" "lwrn" "dolwrz" and "owr" are supposed to work. And for completeness (at the risk of confusion :oops:) you need to add "y --> /j/". Also, TH --> /ð/. (Consider the difference between with /wɪð/ and width /wɪdθ/ - a word you may not have met (it means something like wideness).

But I agree with others that this system is unhelpful, confusing, and gimmicky.

b

Right
I also wasn't sure about using phonetic in such method to decode words like "yxr" "lwrn" "dolwrz" !

decoding this message it was as a puzzle for me just trying to understand the words and combine them :roll:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are other influences as well in some of the forms used on the internet like leet, which is one source of some of the strange letters that appear like x.

Status
Not open for further replies.