• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

a/the

Is the following right? For example, can I use "a" in front of "lack"? Or do I need to use "the" in front of "lack"? Do I need to use "the" in front of "factors"? Can I say "some" in front of "facilitators?

*A lack of a larger, long-term evaluation framework has created a gap. The purpose of the study is to examine 1) factors that contribute to successful implementation of key CPE’s program components, 2) some facilitators and barriers to successful completion of the CPE’s program for students, 3) case management related factors that are predictive of student outcomes, 4) the impact of CPE’s program on student outcomes, and 5) the difference in students’ and mentors’ perception of program quality and integrity before and after change of CPE’s program.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: a/the

Quote Originally Posted by eunkum View Post
    Is the following right? For example, can I use "a" in front of "lack"? Or do I need to use "the" in front of "lack"? In this sentence, you can use A or The before lack.

Do I need to use "the" in front of "factors"? You can use the or skip it. It's not needed.

Can I say "some" in front of "facilitators? You can say some or skip it. It's not needed.

*A lack of a larger, long-term evaluation framework has created a gap. The purpose of the study is to examine 1) factors that contribute to successful implementation of key CPE’s [Either say "of key CPE program components" or "of CPE's key program components." "Key CPE's" is wrong.] program components, 2) some facilitators and barriers to successful completion of the CPE’s program for students, 3) case management-related factors that predict [Less convoluted, more natural.] student outcomes, 4) the impact of CPE’s program on student outcomes, and 5) the difference in students’ and mentors’ perception of program quality and integrity before and after the change of CPE’s program.
    Does that make sense?
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.