• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

general qustion

"What's with you jacking my style"?

If I would say "What is with you, you are jacking my style?" <- does it mean the same?

Other words is "What's with you jacking my style"?" abreviation from ""What is with you, you are jacking my style?"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: general qustion

Where did you encounter that sentence?

What do you think 'jacking my style' means?

You have been a member long enough to know that that a better title would have been jacking my style.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I know what “jacking my style” means. I only wonder if the two sentences above are correct and mean the same.

"What's with you jacking my style"? <- the sentence comes from the film “American Reunion” which I’m watching now… I’m not sure the meaning of all the sentence that’s why I created the other sentence which the meaning I understand but I don’t know if does the sentence mean the same and is it correct?

"What is with you, you are jacking my style?" <- the sentence I created myself

"What's with you" = What is with you?
    “jacking my style” = you are jacking my style?

00:06:46,031 --> 00:06:48,375
    Mia, love, phone call.
    It's Rumer.

00:06:48,450 --> 00:06:50,293
    Oh, shit, let me talk to her.

00:06:50,952 --> 00:06:53,751
    What's with you jacking
    my style, bitch?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by kompstar View Post
    "What's with you jacking my style"?

If I would say "What is with you, you are jacking my style?" <- does it mean the same? No.

In other words, is "What's with you jacking my style"?" an abreviation of "What is with you, you are jacking my style"?
    I speak American English.

1. What's with is a nonstandard idiom, so your rephrasing doesn't work. It sort of means explain. Some examples might help:

- You see a friend who always wears tee-shirts and shorts. But today he is wearing a suit and tie. You are surprised so you say: "Wow! What's with the suit and tie?"

- Your teacher, Mr. Niceguy, is usually a nice guy. But today he has been yelling at students for no good reason. After class, you say to a classmate: "What's with Mr. Niceguy?"

- Your sister knows that you hate cherries on top of ice cream. But today she gives you a bowl of ice cream with a cherry on it. So you say, "Hey, what's with the cherry?"

Again, that is very informal, nonstandard slang - but very natural and common. And it is always abbreviated, never what IS with.

It might help you to know that it comes from the more standard expression what is it with. Notice the word it there. Without the it it's wrong.

So it would be grammatical to say "What is it with you jacking my style." But it would not be natural, because the sentence is obviously casual, informal slang.

2. Jacking is slang for stealing - short for hijacking. In this case, it means imitating.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 09-May-2015 at 18:57.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Jacking is slang for stealing - short for hijacking. In this case, it means imitating.
    Thank you, Charlie. I did not know that.

I've been wondering what this thread was all about. The OP could have told me when I asked.