Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quote from a Harvard open course:
Is there a principled distinction between the invocation of the social purpose of the college or the university today in the diversity rationale and the invocation of the social purpose or mission of the university by Texas in the 1950s or Harvard in the 1930s? Is there a difference in principle?
I wonder why it should not be "the university of Texas "?
Thanks.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The way I'm reading it, the writer wonders whether the mission that universities invoke today is different than the missions invoked by Texas in the '50s or Harvard in the '30s.

"Is there a... distinction between the invocation... today... and the invocation... by Texas... or Harvard...."

Does that fit the sense of the article?

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The way I'm reading it, the writer wonders whether the mission that universities invoke today is different than the missions invoked by Texas in the '50s or Harvard in the '30s.

"Is there a... distinction between the invocation... today... and the invocation... by Texas... or Harvard...."

Does that fit the sense of the article?
Yes, it does. In that case ,can I just say "the invocation of the social purpose of colleges or universities today....invocation of the social purpose or mission of universities by Texas "?
Thank you so much.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Probably. But if you're doing a rewrite, why make it that convoluted?

Several of the instructors here have said that Harvard's open-source texts are badly written. Of what I've seen, that's true. For example, the phrase "the invocation of the social purpose or mission" is really brutal abuse of a perfectly good language.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The University of Texas was established in 1883. There is no reason to refer to it as the University by Texas. It is just wrong.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Probably. But if you're doing a rewrite, why make it that convoluted?

Several of the instructors here have said that Harvard's open-source texts are badly written. Of what I've seen, that's true. For example, the phrase "the invocation of the social purpose or mission" is really brutal abuse of a perfectly good language.
Maybe because it's a transcript from a spoken lecture, the language may not be so perfect.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If this was a native English speaker, there is no way the person could confuse the University of Texas with the University by Texas. This is just impossible.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could it be the State of Texas? It makes no sense as the name of the university to me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Read it as "the mission of the university" by Texas or by Harvard. What was Texas' goal in chartering and furthering a university?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah! Good point, Dave.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Read it as "the mission of the university" by Texas or by Harvard. What was Texas' goal in chartering and furthering a university?

Right. That's exactly what I said to Masterding above:

"[T]he writer wonders whether the mission that universities invoke today is different than the missions invoked by Texas in the '50s or Harvard in the '30s.

"'Is there a... distinction between the invocation... today... and the invocation... by Texas... or Harvard.... '"​

"University of" is understood.

Masterding, is this still making sense?

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

But can I say ""the mission of universities" instead? Because it's not a mission of one particular university.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Right. That's exactly what I said to Masterding above:

"[T]he writer wonders whether the mission that universities invoke today is different than the missions invoked by Texas in the '50s or Harvard in the '30s.

"'Is there a... distinction between the invocation... today... and the invocation... by Texas... or Harvard.... '"​

"University of" is understood.

Masterding, is this still making sense?
Yes ,it is making sense, and I believe that's what the lecturer was trying to say.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But can I say ""the mission of universities" instead? Because it's not a mission of one particular university.

You could, but it is fine as is. It isn't about one particular university, it is about "the university" as an abstract concept, as an ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.