Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi! I'm Anna Lisa. I'm learning English (B2) and I had to do an English exam in the university.
I'm studying, but I don't understand what is the difference among mind, matter and care. I don't never understand this difference and I'm fed up with it. Can you say to me the difference, please? (Do you also say to me if I have done some mistakes?)
Thank you!!
Anna Lisa

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Hi! I'm Anna Lisa. I'm learning English (B2) and I had to do an English exam in the university.
I'm studying, but I don't understand what [STRIKE]is the difference among[/STRIKE]the differences are between mind, matter and care. I [STRIKE]don't never understand this[/STRIKE] have never understood the difference and I'm fed up with it. Can you [STRIKE]say to me[/STRIKE] tell me the difference, please? (Do you also say to me if I have done some mistakes?)
Thank you!!
Anna Lisa

I am not a teacher.

Benvenuta, Anna Lisa.

All three words are nouns and verbs. I assume you are having a problem differentiating between the verbs, since the nouns are not likely to be confused.

'To mind' and 'to care' both mean to be concerned or interested in something, and there is considerable overlap, but they are rarely interchangeable. There are a lot of nuances to get used to.

I care about my family. I don't care for blancmange.

Would you care for a cup of tea? I don't mind if I do.

I care about appearances. I don't mind looking ridiculous/I don't care if I look ridiculous.

'To matter' is not used in the same way. 'Something matters' means something is important/significant. If it's important to you, you probably care about it.

If you say 'I mind' or 'I care' you are expressing your thoughts about something. If you say 'I matter' you're talking about yourself.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.