• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Mali

error identification

hi
    The following are a few questions that I had attempted. But I don't understand the reason behind the given answer. Would you be kind enough to explain because the questions seem correct to me. Thanks in advance.
    1. X : Like Tom, Mary eats a lot, but she is not so strong like he.
    Answer: she is not so strong as he.

2. Such juvenile delinquents are too poor that they have no choice but become school dropouts.
    Answer: are so poor

3. X: Was the newspaper delivered?
    y: No, and it won't be delivered tomorrow too because tomorrow is a public holiday for all working people.
    Answer: it won't be delivered tomorrow either

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: error identification

Quote Originally Posted by iereiy View Post
    Hi!

The following are a few questions that I have attempted. But I don't understand the reasons behind the given answers. Would you be kind enough to explain because the questions seem correct to me? Thanks in advance. [It's obviously in advance.]

I'm not a grammarian, so I'll just give some plain-English answers. I'm sure others will have more to add.

1. X : Like Tom, Mary eats a lot, but she is not so strong like he.
    Answer: she is not as strong as he.

Here, like implies similarity. As implies difference. They are not the same strength. If you said "She is weak, like him," it would mean they are both just as weak.

Most Americans with good grammar would say "not as strong as he is." To us, it sounds less dangly and less stiff.

2. Such juvenile delinquents are too poor that they have no choice but become school dropouts.
    Answer: are so poor

Too poor for what? With too, the thought would be incomplete. So answers the question How poor? They're so poor that....

3. X: Was the newspaper delivered?
    y: No, and it won't be delivered tomorrow too because tomorrow is a public holiday for all working people.
    Answer: it won't be delivered tomorrow either

In this kind of sentence, too affirms an action and either affirms a lack of action.

- I like apples, and I like oranges, too.
    - I don't like apples, and I don't like oranges, either.

Those are good questions. I'm not surprised you're struggling with those sentences. They're tricky.

Now let's see what others say!
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 10-May-2015 at 15:42.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: error identification

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Iereiy:

You have already received excellent answers from Mr. Bernstein. I just wanted to add a few comments.

1. Tom is as tall as George. / Tom is not as tall as he. / Tom is not so tall as he [is]. (We do not usually say "is," but the word is in our mind, so that is why we say "he."]

a. As Mr. Bernstein reminded us, most Americans use as ... as for negative sentences, too. Some people prefer to use so ... as for the negative. (Personally, I prefer so ... as for the negative.)

i. Today is not so cold as yesterday.
    ii. James is not so intelligent as Raul.
    iii. Nevada is not so big as California.

(Remember: Americans will think that you sound more natural if you simply use as ... as in those three sentences.)

2. It is so hot that you can fry an egg on the sidewalk (pavement). / The Great Wall of China is so long that you can see it from the moon (people claim!). / Pamela is so young that she does not know what a typewriter is. (She thinks that people have always used computers!)

3. I don't like mushrooms, and I do not like beets, either. / Mona doesn't like candy, and she does not like cookies, either. / The TV news says that it won't rain today, and it will not rain tomorrow, either.