• Current Location:
      • Iran

surnits

What is surnits or surnit?

context : "Do You Believe in Surnits?"

And also
    Hercs
    "Fairies use hercs to make fairy dust"

"In three studies, about 400 children ages 3 to 6 heard about something new and had to say whether they thought it was real or not. Some children heard the information defined in scientific terms ("Doctors use surnits to make medicine"), while others heard it defined in fantastical terms ("Fairies use hercs to make fairy dust"). The researchers found that children's ability to use contextual cues to determine whether the information is true develops significantly between the ages of 3 and 5."
    Last edited by jaleel2007; 10-May-2015 at 18:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: surnits

The whole point of the piece is that children in the study have to decide if the word they heard was a real word or not. In this case, neither word given is real. Neither "surnit(s)" nor "herc(s)" exists.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Again, please tell us the source and author of that quotation, jaleel.

It's probably the same as in your last post, but we shouldn't have to go looking for it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The whole point of the piece is that children in the study have to decide if the word they heard was a real word or not. In this case, neither word given is real. Neither "surnit(s)" nor "herc(s)" exists.
    I can see it but I want to have an image of them, what are they look like? or how do you imagine them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Again, please tell us the source and author of that quotation, jaleel.

It's probably the same as in your last post, but we shouldn't have to go looking for it.
    Good guess! Yes they are same, but because some problem I try to not make denote of my real source, sorry.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If you're not going to reveal the true source of your quotes, we might have to delete them.

I have absolutely no idea, imagined or otherwise, as to what a "surnit" or a "herc" might look like.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

If you're not going to reveal the true source of your quotes, we might have to delete them.

I have absolutely no idea, imagined or otherwise, as to what a "surnit" or a "herc" might look like.
    Emsr2d2 thank you for reply.
    I have already told my source. Let's put it anther way (maybe I didn't understand "surnit" & "herc" entity exactly in the correct way) So, how do you explain these words to your kids?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

And we have also told you that you must quote your source every time you use an extract from it. We cannot be expected to go back and find one of your previous threads to find the title and author. This is not optional.

And I will explain again - the words "surnit" and "herc" DO NOT EXIST. I would not explain them to anyone. If a child wants to invent a definition for an invented word, they can do so. If I were ever in the position where I read those sentences to a child and the child said "What's a surnit?", I would say "It isn't anything. It's a made-up word. The author just invented it."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Show them Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky, in which nearly all the words are invented.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

And we have also told you that you must quote your source every time you use an extract from it. We cannot be expected to go back and find one of your previous threads to find the title and author. This is not optional.

And I will explain again - the words "surnit" and "herc" DO NOT EXIST. I would not explain them to anyone. If a child wants to invent a definition for an invented word, they can do so. If I were ever in the position where I read those sentences to a child and the child said "What's a surnit?", I would say "It isn't anything. It's a made-up word. The author just invented it."
    I think You are an angry teacher, and also that would be enough if I write the following paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by jaleel2007 View Post
    What is surnits or surnit?

"In three studies, about 400 children ages 3 to 6 heard about something new and had to say whether they thought it was real or not. Some children heard the information defined in scientific terms ("Doctors use surnits to make medicine"), while others heard it defined in fantastical terms ("Fairies use hercs to make fairy dust"). The researchers found that children's ability to use contextual cues to determine whether the information is true develops significantly between the ages of 3 and 5."
    And this one "Do You Believe in Surnits?" come from a New York Times article:
    link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/23/op...lley.html?_r=0
    because I think maybe it can help, that's all. It wasn't the my original source.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm not angry. I'm frustrated! When you post an excerpt or extract from someone else's work, you simply must quote the source (title and author) every time. Rover asked you to do this in post #3 but you didn't do it. We have explained why it's important. As far as I can tell, you have now given us a link to an article about the "surnit" issue yet, in that article, I still can't find the actual quote which begins "In three studies, about 400 children ages 3 to 6 heard about something new ...".

Who actually wrote the paragraph that you quoted in post #1?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast