1. B45

Talking about the NBA FINALS that haven't happened yet. I say: I would go crazy if

Talking about the NBA FINALS that haven't happened yet. I say:

I would go crazy if these two teams are/were matched up in the NBA FINALS.

My gut tells me were is correct because of would but the event hasn't taken place and it's very likely that these two teams will get matched up this year, so why not are?

That's what's confusing me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Talking about the NBA FINALS that haven't happened yet. I say: I would go crazy

I would go crazy if those two teams were matched against each other in the NBA finals.
    I will go crazy if those two teams are matched against each other in the NBA finals.

More naturally, we would say "I'll go crazy if those two teams have to play each other in the NBA finals" or "... if those two teams meet in the NBA finals".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. B45

Re: Talking about the NBA FINALS that haven't happened yet. I say: I would go crazy

Would you say no native speaker would say any of these two:

I would go crazy if those two teams were matched against each other in the NBA finals.
    I will go crazy if those two teams are matched against each other in the NBA finals.

And should I use those instead of these? What if it's for a facebook picture posting I'm putting online for my friend's to see.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    Would you say no native speaker would say any of these two:

And should I use those instead of these? What if it's for a facebook picture posting I'm putting online for my friend's to see.
    I never say never! Native speakers choose their words rather individually. Of course some people might say "to be matched against each other" - it's just rather more wordy than necessary.

If you're posting a photo of the two teams, you can use "these" rather than "those".

There should not be an apostrophe in "friends".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.