• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Can you decode this message?

pli;z let mi; n0 bifo;r yu; k^m t` taiwa;n
    ai wil bi; yur h0st

Note: You might want to consult the following web page by a very good and devoted British author of English courses and textbooks http://www.fonetiks.org/ipa.html
    Last edited by TaiwanPofLee; 12-May-2015 at 10:01. Reason: Addition of the note.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Can you decode this message?

I know nothing about phonemic symbols and these decode exercises are extremely simple. Doesn't that tend to defeat your arguments?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I know nothing about phonemic symbols and these decode exercises are extremely simple. Doesn't that tend to defeat your arguments?
    Mr. Tim Bowyer's howjsay.com is a talking dictionary of English pronunciation, and he needed phonetic transcriptions during recording sessions.
    All popular and successful English dictionaries such as Oxford, Cambridge, Collins, Merriam-Webster, American Heritage, and Longman use phonetic symbols.
    I post decoding puzzles to show that phonetic symbols are easy to learn and a great aid to teaching and learning of English pronunciation.
    I propose teaching of English phonemic symbols to primary school students.
    Last edited by TaiwanPofLee; 12-May-2015 at 17:00. Reason: Addition of the last paragraph.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by TaiwanPofLee View Post
    Mr. Tim Bowyer's howjsay.com is a talking dictionary of English pronunciation, and he needed phonetic transcriptions during recording sessions.
    All popular and successful English dictionaries such as Oxford, Cambridge, Collins, Merriam-Webster, American Heritage, and Longman use phonetic symbols.
    I post decoding puzzles to show that phonetic symbols are easy to learn and a great aid to teaching and learning of English pronunciation.
    I propose teaching of English phonemic symbols to primary school students.
    The problem with teaching phonemic symbols is selecting which system to teach. Every dictionary uses slightly different systems and notations, so if you invest the time covering it with students, there's always going to be cases where what they memorized isn't what they'll encounter when they go to use a dictionary.

Yes there are several standard systems - IPA comes to mind of course - but there's no guarantee of consistency across texts. While you can control this in the classroom by careful selection of texts, what happens when they switch texts or encounter an unfamiliar system outside the class?

Don't get me wrong - I agree it's a useful idea, and I spend some time covering how to use a dictionary with my classes, including how to use the pronunciation guide. But rather than teaching a specific system, I teach how to locate and use the pronunciation guide located with a given dictionary, explaining that the systems vary, and they'll have to reference the guide that comes with the dictionary.
    Last edited by Skrej; 13-May-2015 at 02:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Hi Skrej! You are a very good teacher.

Taiwan and China each have a unified phonetic system for their Mandarin Chinese pronunciation.
    Taiwan and China teach their students Zhuyin and Pinyin respectively as soon as they begin their primary school education.
    I think English phonemic/phonetic symbols should be taught to native English students to help them ascertain the standard pronunciation of an English word, especially a newly encountered one. There are always practical ways to cope with the problem of no unified phonetic system.

There are popular English dictionaries such as Oxford, Cambridge, Collins, Merriam-Webster, American Heritage, and Longman that use phonetic symbols.
    Last edited by TaiwanPofLee; 13-May-2015 at 13:09. Reason: Addition of the last paragraph.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by TaiwanPofLee View Post
    pli;z let mi; n0 bifo;r yu; k^m t` taiwa;n
    ai wil bi; yur h0st

Note: You might want to consult the following web page by a very good and devoted British author of English courses and textbooks http://www.fonetiks.org/ipa.html
    It's readable, no need to translate. Thank you! If I ever plan a trip to Taiwan, I'll be sure to let you know!

I hope you're starting to realize that literate native English speakers can read without using references.
    Keep in mind that almost all of us get at least twelve years of formal English instruction. That's more than a lot of ESL students get!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    It's readable, no need to translate. Thank you! If I ever plan a trip to Taiwan, I'll be sure to let you know!

I hope you're starting to realize that literate native English speakers can read without using references.
    Keep in mind that almost all of us get at least twelve years of formal English instruction. That's more than a lot of ESL students get!
    1. mI kwn`swrn iz i`fiSwnsE in tEHiN and lwrniN wv iNgliS, bOth fwr nAtiv
    and E.S.L stUdwnts.
    2. let mE nO bi`fawr U kum tw tI`won. wE wil tawk w`bowt iNgliS prwnunSi`ASwn, and I wil trEt U tw tI`won mU`zEwmz, in`klXdiN THw naSwnl palis mU`zEwm.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

10-Q!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    10-Q!
    You're welcome. Please do come.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

tEHiN
    This one may work with Chinese speakers, but if they try to use this system to communicate internationally, they will find that many don't get the H.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast