• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

I am sorry that I tried to come to the cinema with you, but . . . (incoherency)

Hi,

*self-made sentence*

- I am sorry that I tried to come to the cinema with you, but I could not do because I was so sick.

Do you think that there is any incoherence in meaning?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I am sorry that I tried to come to the cinema with you, but . . . (incoherency)

"I am sorry that I tried to come to the cinema with you" doesn't make sense. You might say something like "I am sorry that I tried to kill you" or "I am sorry that I tried to get you fired from your job" - those are the kinds of things you would apologise for. The end of your sentence makes it clear that you did not go to the cinema. A natural version would be "I'm sorry I couldn't come to the cinema with you - I was sick" or "I'm sorry I was too sick to come to the cinema with you".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: I am sorry that I tried to come to the cinema with you, but . . . (incoherency)

So many thanks. What about these ones:

- I am sorry to inform you that I tried to come to the cinema with you, but I could not do because I was so sick.

- I am sorry to inform you that although I tried to come to the cinema with you, I could not do because I was so sick.

Do they sound natural?

Thanks again!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Do you mean that you left the house to attempt to join your friend at the cinema but on the way there you realised you were too sick and went home again? That's the only way you could claim to have tried to go to the cinema.
    Note that, even if that's the case, your sentence means that you are sorry that you tried. That doesn't make sense. You can apologise for not going or even apologise for being sick but don't apologise for trying to go.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I am sorry I could not join you at the cinema(for the movie) because I was sick.

not a teacher