• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

reading

Quote from a Harvard open course:

Now, why is it that the professional golfers, the great golfers testified in this case, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Kite, in the readings, against letting him use a cart. And they, I suspect, would be equally vehement, Jenny, in opposing your suggestion of letting everyone ride a cart, and this goes back, in a way, to Daís point, how to put this gently? Professional golfers are sensitive about whether their sport is really a sport. Because if everyone rode around in a cart, or could, then it would become clear, or clearer depending on your point of view, that golf is not really an athletic competition, but rather a game. A game of skill, but not a sport. And so, not only the question of debating the purpose, the teleological feature, but also from the standpoint of viewing debates about the purpose of golf, whatís essential to golf. Those debates, Aristotle suggests, inevitably are also debates about the allocation of honor, because part of the purpose of golf is not just to amuse spectators, Scalia's wrong about that from Aristotleís point of view. Itís not just to provide entertainment, itís not just to make people happy, itís not an, a mere amusement, Itís honoring, itís rewarding, itís recognizing a certain kind of athletic excellence, at least those who have achieved the highest honors, have a powerful stake in maintaining that view.
    My questions:
    1.What does "readings" mean here ? Does it mean something like testimony?
    2.I don't quite understand what the lecturer was trying to say. The passage doesn't look grammatical to me .
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: reading

Are you still reading verbal transcripts looking for perfect English?

1. I assume the students whom he was talking to had done some reading to prepare for the class.
    2. It's not grammatical. He's trying to express something extemporaneously. He's introducing the subject of the "purpose of golf" of golf's essential nature.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Are you still reading verbal transcripts looking for perfect English?

1. I assume the students whom he was talking to had done some reading to prepare for the class.
    2. It's not grammatical. He's trying to express something extemporaneously. He's introducing the subject of the "purpose of golf" of golf's essential nature.
    2.I understand the verbal transcripts may not be perfect english. I just don't get his point, why did he drew a comparison between "debating the purpose" and "viewing debates about the purpose of golf" ?
    Thank you so much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

He is talking about the subject of the nature, the purpose, the essence of golf. He's not drawing any comparison. He is simply introducing the subject.

It's like he started to say something and then switched up halfway through his sentence. It's extemporaneous.