Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is really confusing but I'm going to find out.;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would be good.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, Matthew.:)
Well, in your sentence, 'to cut her lawn herself' functions as an object of 'needed'. It doesn't really modify the verb.
It doesn't modify the verb because it is a transitive verb, which takes an object, as in 'someone wants to do something'. Am I right or wrong?

This is really confusing but I'm going to find out.;-)
I think it would be less confusing if you found out whether the verb was transitive or intransitive, but I am not a teacher.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't modify the verb because it is a transitive verb, which takes an object, as in 'someone wants to do something'. Am I right or wrong?

You are right, Matthew.
Well, at least you share my view on this matter.
:-D

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I think it would be less confusing if you found out whether the verb was transitive or intransitive, but I am not a teacher.

Why do you say that?

I think infinitive can also be replaced by so (subject) can... But I'm not sure.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Examples please.

Bill uses his watch so he can get to work.

I don't know if I'm right, but it looks correct.

Can you tell me why do you say it would be less confusing if I find out whether a verb is transitive or intransitive?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Bill uses his watch to get to work on time
Bill uses his watch so he can get to work.
I consider 'to get to work on time' and 'so he can get to work' to be an infinitive phrase and an independent clause respectively, so they are two different things.
Not a teacher.
Can you tell me why do you say it would be less confusing if I find out whether a verb is transitive or intransitive?
Assuming the 'confusing' in your post#21 refers to post#20, then it would be less confusing if you knew that 'need' is a transitive verb instead of an intransitive one.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I consider 'to get to work on time' and 'so he can get to work' to be an infinitive phrase and an independent clause respectively, so they are two different things.
Not a teacher.

I think it means the same.

Assuming the 'confusing' in your post#21 refers to post#20, then it would be less confusing if you knew that 'need' is a transitive verb instead of an intransitive one.

I don't understand the difference between adverbial or adjectival infinitive because they both go after noun.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read that adverbial infinitive can be put at the beginning or end to know the difference. That tip kinda helps if y'all need to know.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I think an adjectival infinitive can be the same as an adjectival clause but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between adverbial and adjectival infinitive.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Infinitives retain some, but not all, functions of verbs.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And I think an adjectival infinitive can be the same as an adjectival clause but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between adverbial and adjectival infinitive.
It is. But is that a big problem? The overall meanings are clear enough.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Bill uses his watch to get to work on time."

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

1. "Bill uses his watch so (that) he can get to work on time." ("So (that) he can get to work on time" is an adverbial clause that modifies the verb "uses." )

2. "Bill uses his watch to get to work on time." ("To get to work on time" is an infinitive phrase that modifies the verb "uses.")

a. One may make it stronger by introducting the infinitive with "in order": "Bill uses his watch in order to get to work on time."

Here is one book's explanation that may interest you.

"In order to draw well, one must have a natural aptitude." [Only my note. Or: "One must have a natural aptitude in order to draw well."]

a. "in order to draw well" is an "adverbial modifier of the main verb "must have."
b. "in order" introduces the infinitive phrase. [Only my note: "In order" is often used to give an emphasis. "He is studying English to get a good job in the global economy." / "He is studying English in order to get a good job in the global economy." Only my personal opinion: I think that learners should use "in order" because native speakers will then be prepared to expect an infinitive. It will make it easier for learners to be understood by native speakers.]

Source: Pence and Emery, A Grammar of Present-Day English (second edition, copyright 1947 and 1963), page 68.

Last edited:

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is. But is that a big problem? The overall meanings are clear enough.

It's hard for me to understand if an infinitive is modifying a noun because sometimes an adverbial infinitive goes after noun so it looks like it's modifying a noun. Sometimes I think it depends on the verb.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
sometimes an adverbial infinitive goes after noun so it looks like it's modifying a noun.
Do you think 'his watch' as an inanimate object would 'get to work' like a human below? That's what I thought as a learner.
Bill uses his watch to get to work on time

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's hard for me to understand if an infinitive is modifying a noun because sometimes an adverbial infinitive goes after noun so it looks like it's modifying a noun.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

A suggestion, Mawes.

You might want to find five sentences (in newspapers, magazines, books, etc.) with noun + infinitive. You can post them here with YOUR opinion, and then other members will give THEIR opinions.

I have found some sentences from my local newspaper.

What do YOU think the infinitive phrases modify? (I will give MY opinion at the end of this post.)

1. " racked my mind for a reason to stay." -- Lauren Meltzer.

2. "I have come to realize that the best way to attract attention is by not actively looking." -- Ms. Meltzer.

3. "After pouring a glass of Pinot Grigio to calm my nerves, ..." -- Ms. Meltzer.

4. "[They are] the third consecutive Santa Barbara family to own the business." -- Amy Scattergood.

5. "It will take a very long time to form the ice crystals." -- S. Irene Virbila.

Here is my opinion.

(1) It [the infinitive phrase] modifies / describes the noun "reason."
(2) It modifies the noun "way."
(3) It modifies the gerund "pouring,."
(4) It modifies the noun "family."
(5) I have my opinion, but I am NOT confident enough to state it. So I will let you and others comment first.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my opinion 5 is adverbial. One reason is that you can move the phrase to the beginning of the sentence with no change in meaning. I think it modifies "take".

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am kinda understanding now but what does the to behind the infinitive stand for because I think that is what is confusing me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.