• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Arrow The words story writing.

Greetings,
    I cannot understand these words, story writing. I understand e-mail or casual writing but writing a story when I e-mailing confuses me greatly. I have no order or structure in my e-mail writing, or a voice yet. These things I need to work on. I ask for your patience. Paul

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: The words story writing.

"Story writing" means writing a story. Is that what you can't do? Or are you really concerned with the concept, or the words "story writing"?
    Do you need to write stories?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Question My definition of the word story.

My language is English unfortunately, I never was taught about when writing, one writes it like a story. I never took into my mind about structure of words and sentences plus paragraphs. I write from experiences, but without any order. I do not understand grammar or verbs and nouns, but use the words in place of grammar. I would describe it as free writing and not ordered writing.

I now see I need structure and some order when writing. Like numbers have structure and order, but as for me I do not. I like using paragraphs it makes the thread easy to understand. Using a story to write has chapters and are used as some order, but when I write I just write free style and are misunderstood because of not using some sort of order.

I see every once in a while using the software called Grammarly and the words used grammar by themselves. Should I just keep on writing outside of order in hopes of being somewhat in some order or continue in free writing or what comes to mind without structure and order? Paul
    Last edited by Paul James; 23-May-2015 at 15:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: My definition of the word story.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul James View Post
    My native language is English. Unfortunately, I was never was taught about that, when writing, one writes it like a story. I never took into my mind thought about the structure of words, and sentences plus or paragraphs. I write from experiences (no comma here) but without any order. I do not understand grammar or verbs and nouns, but use the words in place of grammar. I would describe it as free writing and not ordered writing.

I now see I need structure and some order when writing. Like Numbers have structure and order (no comma here) but as for me I do not. I like using paragraphs - it makes the thread easy to understand. Using a story to write has chapters and are used as some order (I don't know what you're trying to say with the underlined part) but when I write, I just write free style freestyle and are am misunderstood because of not using I don't use/my writing doesn't have some sort of order.

I see every once in a while people using the software called Grammarly and the words used grammar by themselves (I don't understand the underlined part). Should I just keep on writing outside of without order in hopes of being somewhat in some order understood or continue in with free writing or whatever comes to mind without structure and order? Paul
    Please see my amendments above. There is a difference, for me, between free writing for yourself and freestyle writing for others to read. I assume that your post here was an example of your free writing - ie you wrote whatever came into your head and did not consider its grammatical correctness or, in some cases, its comprehensibility.

If you are writing for others to read and if you want people to understand what you're talking about, my answer to the question in your final paragraph is "You should write grammatically, correctly and with some semblance of order".

I don't really know what you meant when you said "I use words in place of grammar".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Raymott,
    The concept itself. I have used no structure are order when e-mailing. surely there is a way to introduce order into e-mail? Paul

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Yes, you can use a narrative structure in email if you want. The point about email, though, is that the type of text you write depends on the purpose of an email. (The same relates to a post here). It must be structured, but it needn't tell a story.
    Has someone complained to you about your emails? It sounds like someone must have told you your emails should be more structured, and you've assumed you have to tell a story - or maybe you've been told you have to write an email in a story-telling way.
    An email to a friend could be boring because it's not structured. But there are lots of ways you can structure an email (or a story).
    One structure might be:
    - A greeting; then asking how your friend has been lately.
    - Answering some of the questions in your friend's last letter, or commenting on some of the interesting things they've told you.
    - Telling your friend what you've been doing that's significant or interesting.
    - Asking your friend what they have been doing.
    - Telling your friend that you look forward to their reply.
    - Signing off.

That's one common way to format an email. Is this the type of thing you mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

You've got two threads currently on story writing. This wastes the time of people who reply not knowing that you're getting dupicate advice in another thread. Please post only one thread for one topic.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It might get confusing but I'm about to merge the two threads. Just a heads-up.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

emr2d2,
    Concerning the word semblance, that is I cannot understand grammar, therefore I will have to go back to e-mail hoping for a semblance of grammar. It is said we are not perfect if that is correct neither was the creators of writing. I will have to use a semblance of some order. If there is a right then there has to be wrong. I use grammarly as well that helps. What's correct with some might not be correct with all. Paul

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I have to admit that I am surprised that, even if you're employing "free writing", you consider that things like "If not, neither was the creators of writing" are correct/acceptable. Much of your writing sounds like it has been written by a non-native speaker.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-May-2015 at 22:04. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast