• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Been or Gone ?

Hi,in British English, I saw that most sentences that have the subject "I" in Affirmatives and negatives, and "you" in questions take "been" not "gone".Like:
    1. I've been to India.
    2.I haven't been to India./ I've never been India.
    3.Have you been to India?/ Where have you been?
    So, is my conclusion correct for most sentences?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Been or Gone ?

Yes, maybe 'most', but not all.
    About 'gone', one factor is that you can't say to someone, "I have gone away", because you're not there to say it. You can say "He has gone away". Similarly, you can't say, "I have gone to India" for the same reason, but you can tell someone that someone else (a third person) has gone to India. You can't ask "Have you gone to India?" of a person standing in front of you, not in India.
    Of course, you could write this in an email, though "I have gone to India" is still unnatural if you are in India.

With 'been', it can be used equally well in all persons. All of your examples can take "he/she/it/they". "They have been to India"; "Has Sally been to India?". Perhaps here, it's more common to ask people directly whether they have been to India than asking whether someone else has.

So, it's not a grammatical point at all. If your observation is true - and it probably is - it's statistical. It's just that we can say different things about people who we are talking to ('you', 2nd person) than who we are talking about (3rd person).

PS: This post assumes you know the difference between "I have gone to India (and I'm still there)", and "I have been to India (but I'm not there now)".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Cool.Another difference I noticed is:These words (ever, never, twice, three times,...,several times) come only with "been" not with "gone". Is there any grammatical rule about it.
    Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Then can I not assume that you know the difference between the use of 'been' and 'gone' as I did above. If you don't understand this, how did you understand my post above. Tell me what your understanding of 'been' and 'gone' is, and I'll answer you. That's far more important than knowing what words to use with them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Yes,I know exactly the difference in the meaning.But,aside from the meaning, I'm just looking for clues without depending on the meaning of the sentence.So I'd like you to answer my question with"yes" or"No",please.
    Many thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester View Post
    He has gone away = died ?

Can I omit "away" here?
    He has gone.
    Polyester, please wait until the original poster's topic has been fully dealt with before asking supplementary questions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
    So I'd like you to answer my question with"yes" or"No",please.
    Then you must either ask questions that can be answered by 'Yes' or 'No', or risk having to suffer through an explanation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
    Another difference I noticed is:These words (ever, never, twice, three times,...,several times) come only with "been" not with "gone". Is there any grammatical rule about it.
    It's determined by meaning. You can use those words with gone if the meaning works: They have never gone home before 5pm before. (= This is the first time they have done it and they are not present at the time of speaking)