• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

• Post Thanks / Like

Already or Just ?

Hi everyone.My question is:Why's "already" was chosen over "just" in the following, according to a textbook I've read.Do the underlined words denote that "already" is preferred ? esp. when you surprise the person of something he/she didn't know.
    1.Would you like to come to see the film with us? Thanks for asking, but I've already seen it.
    2.Look at the noticeboard.There's an advert for English courses. I know I've already seen it.
    3.If you see John, can you ask him about tonight? He can come.I've already asked him.
    Plus, can I replace "seen" with "watched" in 2.Please I need some explanation.

Last edited by emsr2d2; 24-May-2015 at 23:33. Reason: Deleting 17 unnecessary exclamation marks. Then another mod standardised the font and font size

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Already or Just ?

Quote Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
    Hi everyone.My question is:Why was "already" was chosen over "just" in the following, according to a textbook I've read. Do the underlined words denote that "already" is preferred, especially when you surprise the person of with something he/she didn't know?

"Just" would denote a very short time before, whereas "already" means some (unspecified) period of time beforehand.
    Using "just" would imply that the person saw the film/noticeboard, or that they asked John, almost immediately before having that conversation, which is very unlikely of course! That is why "already" works, but "just" doesn't in the above sentences.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
    Plus, can I replace "seen" with "watched" in 2? Please, I need some explanation!

Not if you went to see it in the cinema.