Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does the following sentence mean?
"I’d Like to Buy a Consonant

Went with Delaney to the “Dads ’n’ Donuts” event at her school the other day. A fine selection. We finished eating and socializing in the gym a bit early, so we sauntered back to her kindergarten classroom."

It is title if this can help.
Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know if it's relevant but there is a TV game show in the UK called "Countdown", in which players have to make the longest word they can out of nine randomly selected letters. They ask the host for a vowel or a consonant until they have nine letters. Perhaps there is an American show with a similar theme in which players "buy" a vowel or a consonant instead of simply asking for one.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, there is "Wheel of Fortune" where contestants try to complete phrases, etc. by guessing consonants and earning a certain dollar value for each one. The dollar value is based on a spin of a large wheel. If the wheel stops on $500 and you guess "T" and there are three Ts, you win $1500. If you guess a consonant that is not in the puzzle, play passes to the next player. The player who successfully guesses the puzzle keeps their earnings.

Once you have earned money, and it is your turn, you can "buy a vowel."

This title is certainly a play on that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, yes! I had completely forgotten that show. There was a British version which worked exactly the same way but it hasn't been on for years.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Wheel" has been on pretty much constantly for 40 years. The daytime version started in 1975 and ran until 1991. The nighttime version has been running 5 nights a week since 1983.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the writer is objecting to 'n', then they would have to buy a vowel and a consonant to make and.

Status
Not open for further replies.