Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
As the title stated, I was trying t look for a alternative for the word "goddamn". Given that it is a piece of coursework, I really don't think it is appropriate to use the word goddamn. Can someone please help me with that cuz I tried my best but there is nothing as lively as the word goddamn in my head or available to me from google. (Probably due to my crappy searching skills)

The sentence is:
" So when you got a goddamn aircraft with possibly 226 people or more likely, their remains onboard and they are missing without an actual location known and with the name of “The biggest mystery in aviation history”, no one should, or has the right to call of the search, no matter what the circumstances are."

This is the original paragraph:
"Looking back on AF447, the French airliner that crashed in the Pacific in 2009, it took the investigation team nearly 2 years to retrieve the flight recorder, also known as the “black box” from the sea bed. They have spent 2 years looking for a transmission device, given that they had the approximate location of the device at the first place. And, unlike the Malaysian airlines flight 370, they knew for sure that the device was somewhere around that area. So when you got a goddamn aircraft with possibly 226 people or more likely, their remains onboard and they are missing without an actual location known and with the name of “The biggest mystery in aviation history”, no one should, or has the right to call of the search, no matter what the circumstances are. Which means, instead of calling off the search or reduce funds for the search, the opposite shall take place, suggesting that the search team should receive more funds and support in hope that the search team will be able to retrieve the remains of the aircraft and those onboard in the near future."

And if you are interested in what this piece is about, here you go
(This is my coursework on a letter to the editor, and this is the article I was given: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...403J20150308):

"Dear Editor,

I have read your follow-up article on the MH370 incident there where you have suggested continuing the search. I am very glad there are still people like you who agree to keep funding the search. I have heard many people around me calling on the government to call off the search as it is consuming our country’s resources and getting nothing back in return. But, as a close friend of Neso Luggit, one of the passengers that boarded on the flight, I hope, from the bottom of my heart that the lost aircraft could be found as soon as possible.

As the average citizen, you may think that the search has nothing to do with you other than consuming your tax money, but it is really wrong to think of it this way. Not long after the disappearance of the jetliner in 2014, it was called the largest mystery in aviation history. Which means, rediscovery of the aircraft can lead to a series of advancements that would make flying safer ever than before.

The search should also keep going on the behalf of families and friends of the deceased. Given that they are the one who have suffered the most from the incident, their feelings should be accounted into the decision of continuing to fund the search. Think about it, someday, if your loved ones mysteriously disappeared, naturally, you would ask people to look for him/her and try finding out what happened, wouldn’t you? The same shall apply here. Thousands of people who have lost their loved ones a year ago are still desperate for the whereabouts of their loved ones and want an explanation to what have happened.

Looking back on AF447, the French airliner that crashed in the Pacific in 2009, it took the investigation team nearly 2 years to retrieve the flight recorder, also known as the “black box” from the sea bed. They have spent 2 years looking for a transmission device, given that they had the approximate location of the device at the first place. And, unlike the Malaysian airlines flight 370, they knew for sure that the device was somewhere around that area. So when you got a goddamn aircraft with possibly 226 people or more likely, their remains onboard and they are missing without an actual location known and with the name of “The biggest mystery in aviation history”, no one should, or has the right to call of the search, no matter what the circumstances are. Which means, instead of calling off the search or reduce funds for the search, the opposite shall take place, suggesting that the search team should receive more funds and support in hope that the search team will be able to retrieve the remains of the aircraft and those onboard in the near future.

That being said, try imagine the following: You, as a warm blooded person, hearing a mother say “I can’t sleep at night, each night I’m only getting about 2 hours, but I’m certain that my daughter is still alive”, I bet there is nothing you can do but sympathise her. At this point, nothing other than the reason for the crash matters. As a fellow Malaysian, we should support each other and help the families of the deceased overcome this tragedy by supporting the search to go on. Especially when we see with our very eyes that the Chinese, composing the majority of those onboard are not giving up; even the Australians, with only 6 citizens onboard, are not giving up. So why are we Malaysians, with nearly a quarter of those who boarded the aircraft trying to call off the search? No one, and by no one I mean not a single person, should be able to make any sense out of this!

In addition, as the article stated, “…battery powering MH370’s flight data recorder’s underwater locater beacon, which will send a signal if the crash occurs in the water, had expired in December 2012 and was not replaced.”, could only be described as ridiculous. The crash occurred over a year after the batter was supposed to be replaced, and yet after going through hundreds of flights, not a single person noticed?! This is something that should never have happened, and despite however low the probability was, it did happen, and the Malaysian airlines should be taking responsibility for so. This being said, the airline should definitely be the one who is funding the search. Which means, in the event of the Malaysian government withdrawing from the search,the airline should takeover it’s government’s place in the search immediately, meaning that the airline should also be providing the funds for the search and the amount should be no less than what the Malaysian government gave, to ensure the necessary work for the search could be carried out.

So after all this discussion, you would possibly be thinking (and hopefully, you did) how does it have anything to do with you? We are just ordinary citizens, what can I do for them? Well, there is plenty that you can do. You can voice yourself out through social media, contact your local representative and as the people, tell the prime minister that you think the search should go on. More importantly, let our government realise they should put more resources into the search, as they are not really committed to the search. Hopefully, this statement would loose it’s truthfulness soon.

Yours Faithfully,

Hagi Muhammad"

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia