Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
Hi,

I don't understand why there is an apostrophe in such words: McDonald's, Chili's ... I know that apostrophe shows possession. So, where is the possession?

Thank you in advance,

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Presumably the person who started the burger company was called Mr McDonald. Therefore it is "Mr McDonald's Burger Company". I am not suggesting that it used to be called that but "McDonald" is a surname, "McDonalds" isn't.

I don't know of a shop/restaurant called "Chili's" - perhaps we don't have it in the UK.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Here is one explanation. I do not know how accurate it is. The source DOES seem to be authoritative.

"In reality there is no apostrophe in the Chili's name. Instead the apostrophe is a substitute for the word pepper."

So the source tells us that Chili's actually means CHILI-pepper-S.

Source: go to Google and type in: [PDF] Chili's -- Super Brands

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
McDonald's, Chili's, etc. are franchise corporations, so the restaurant name belong to the company, even though the actual franchises are owned by individuals.

So when we say 'McDonald's', it is a short form of 'McDonald's restaurant', thus the possessive, belonging to the corporation.

Just as tidbits of extra info - McDonald's was actually started by a man named Ray Kroc. I don't remember where the 'McDonald' part comes in, but I'm sure you can find out on the internet.

Chili's is an American restaurant bar and grill chain that serves pseudo Tex-Mex cuisine. However, their menu is very loosely based on Tex-Mex cuisine, I wouldn't consider them Tex-Mex. It's not bad food by any means, just not terribly authentic.

Parser is correct that the 'Chili' in 'Chili's' represents a chili pepper, which is commonly associated with Mexican food. However, the rest his theory, I'm afraid is incorrect.

white.rose

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
So, 's in "chili" doesn't represent possession? Substitution is another use of apostrophe, isn't it?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The apostrophe in Chili's is a possessive for Chili's restaurant.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.