Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello,
can someone please tell me if I can use phrases such as "electrotechnical calculations" and "enginerical calculations". I study electrical engineering and I need to translate the summary of my thesis into English and I'm having a hard time regarding those two words/phrases. I could probably do with "electrical engineering calculation" but i need to use it several times and i don;t want to repeat it. It would be great to know if i can use the other two.
Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

"Electro-technical" sounds OK but "enginerical" is definitely not a word.

Note that you failed to capitalise the word "I" three times towards the end of your post.

Shiranui

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello,
thank you very much for your answer. Actually I know I should capitalize it and it will sound stupid, but I feel bad doing so:) It kind of makes it honorific and I don't like it. It's like adding "san" to your name in Japanese when talking about yourself:-D Anyway, I should stop doing this silly thing and write it properly:)
Thank you. Bye.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You could be more specific about the calculations e.g. voltage calculations, power calculations, calculations of impedance, etc.
Did you say you feel bad capitalizing 'I'?;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Capitalising "I" doesn't make it 'honorific'. It makes it grammatically correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.