Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, everyone! ;)

I'm writing a song about revenge and wonder if the sentence "I kept your name" makes sense!

The sentence means that I still remember his name and I will not forget for reasons of revenge (perhaps)!

Yours faithfully...

ceciliafontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
No one can help me? =/

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

There is nothing wrong with the phrase itself, but it is difficult to know if it sounds truly natural, or is appropriate, without having more context. Especially in a song lyric where the normal rules of grammar etc are often broken to achieve a particular result that the special context requires.

For example, to me the phrase "I kept your name" would normally suggest that it is being kept close for reasons of affection, rather than revenge. But there might be a way of using it that works for your song.

Perhaps you could give us three or four of the lines immediately before and after this one.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the singer is a woman who is divorced, it might mean that she kept using her ex-husband's name.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Celia, your thread title should be Does 'I kept your name' make sense? and your later question should be Can no one help me?

To ask a question, we don't simply make a statement and put a question mark at the end (exept in certain contexts which don't apply here).

If you must use emoticons,
please click on the :-D icon and choose from the wide range available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.