Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Please advise if it is grammatically correct for the below sentence.

"I would like to confirm if you have received my re-taken photos since I handed it to your company's reception on last Thursday."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would like to confirm if you have received [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] the re-taken photos which I handed to your company's reception [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] last Thursday."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The relative pronoun 'which' can be omitted because it is the object of the relative clause.

Not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think there is a difference between them: 'the re-taken photos' may be showing someone/something else instead of the speaker.

Not a teacher.

"My photos" does not mean the photos has the speaker's face on them or that the photos were taken by the speaker or the speaker owns the photos. The use of the indefinite article is preferred to 'my' in official communication.

cyrusevilming

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank you for advising the amendment above! Both of you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"My photos" does not mean the photos has the speaker's face on them or that the photos were taken by the speaker or the speaker owns the photos.
What could it possibly mean, if none of these things are true?

The use of the indefinite article is preferred to 'my' in official communication.
i completely disagree. There is nothing wrong with personal pronouns, especially when they provide additional information.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"My photos" does not mean the photos has the speaker's face on them
If so, do you think that 'My profile' does not mean the profile contains my personal information?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course it does. However, "my photos" include lots of pictures without my face in them (fortunately!)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If I said 'I will upload my photo as my avatar', would you think it would be showing my face?

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If I said 'I will upload my photo as my avatar', would you think it would be showing my face?

Strictly speaking, "my photo" doesn't automatically mean "a photo of me" (even with "as my avatar") though it doesn't rule out such a possibility. What it means for certain is that the photo belongs to you.

Not a teacher.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
My photos" does not necessarily mean the photos has the speaker's face on them or that the photos were taken by the speaker or the speaker owns the photos.

OK, I need to qualify what I said above. "My photos" just mean the photos that I sent and nothing more.

Last edited:

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.

OK, I need to qualify what I said above. "My photos" just mean the photos that I sent and nothing more.

I agree on the part that "my photos" doesn't always mean "photos owned by me or belonging to me" (here is possibly my turn to qualify my previous post) in the same way as "my friend" doesn't indicate that that particular friend is my property. This means some sort of association with me. But again, association is sometimes too general a word.
My photos" does not necessarily mean the photos has the speaker's face on them or that the photos were taken by the speaker or the speaker owns the photos.

The phrase "doesn't necessarily mean" indicates that it may or may not. It could also be that it means either, or all of them at once, or as you've just said: the photos sent by me. Association? It seems yes. As usual, it all depends on the context.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.