Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suppose that you are a teacher and you are asking to yor students in the classroom.

Suppose that you are a teacher and you are asking to your students in the classroom:

Did you do your homework?

or

Have you done your homework?

Which one is correctand why?

Re: Suppose that you are a teacher and you are asking to yor students in the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by lhn
    Suppose that you are a teacher and you are asking to your students in the classroom:
    Did you do your homework?
    This seems like it'd be aimed at one person in particular, not the whole class.
    or
    Have you done your homework?
    Which one is correctand why?
    Yep, that'd be aimed at the whole class

2. matilda

Talking Re: Suppose that you are a teacher and you are asking to yor students in the classroom.

DID YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK , I think

Re: Suppose that you are a teacher and you are asking to yor students in the classroom.

Thanks brimstone11 and matilda

more comment please...

I think my question is a very difficult one!

Only two members dared to answer it.

Thanks a lot them...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Might be better to ask:

Have you all completed (or done) your homework?

or

Has anyone not done (or completed) their homework?

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon
    Might be better to ask:
    Have you all completed (or done) your homework?
    or
    Has anyone not done (or completed) their homework?

Do you mean Present Perfect Tense is better?

This is also my opnion, but we have been discussing this subject with my friends. So I would like to be sure which one fits best in that situation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Yes, I think that is the most natural.

'Good morning everyone, have you all done your homework for today?' Everyone?, has anyone not completed it?. Good (or bad ) depending on the response!

Thumbs up Re: Suppose that you are a teacher and you are asking to yor students in the classroom.

Hi Ihn and everybody!

I'm Kjell from Sweden, and, hopefully, I'll be a certified teacher in English after the next term. This is a very late answer, but when I saw this interesting question I thought it was worth a reply.

When you use spoken English in this context, and you're not looking at any particular pupil, because you're aiming the question at the whole class, both sentences are equally correct. Because the subject "you" covers both second person singular and second person plural. So here, you as a speaker decide with your body language whether you direct the question at a particular student or at the whole class.

In a written text, though, you of course have to make it clear to the reader to whom you are aiming the question.
    Best/Kjell

I use both. I use "Have you ... ?" when time isn't a factor, and "Did you ... ?" when time is a factor. For example,

Past Simple (time is important; the "when")
    I gave you this assignment last week. Did you do it?

Present Perfect (the act is important)
    Take our your homework. Have you done it?

All the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast