• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Exclamation There was an amazing square in the village which I thought couldn’t have existed back

"I’ve lately been to a historic village that has been recently discovered in the western region of my country. It is believed that this village dates back to about three thousand years ago. The houses in the village looked really old, but I could feel the people who lived them. The streets in the village were wide and unpaved. Every street eventually leads to a dead-end. That was so strange for me. There was an amazing square in the village which I thought couldn’t have existed back then, but my friend told me this place was the market place for the village. Then we went to see the excavated findings. There were all sorts of pots, bowls, spoons, and other stuff."

Hello All,
    The context was extracted from my teacher's book. speaking IELST test about " historic monument in your country".I want to know that:
    1: "I could feel.." means: give you a particular feeling or impression?
    http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionarie.../feel_1?q=feel ( def #4)

2: what does 'which I thought couldn’t have existed back then" mean?! what was the purpose of the teacher by using 'could have existed back then" ? does it mean: it was amazing that there was a square in the village three thousand years?!

Thanks.
    Last edited by nininaz; 03-Jun-2015 at 11:24.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: There was an amazing square in the village which I thought couldn’t have existed

This has been answered here: https://www.englishforums.com/Englis...wlvnb/post.htm

Could you only post the question on one forum at a time so that people don't spend time duplicating answers. If you don't get an answer on one, post on the other. Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: There was an amazing square in the village which I thought couldn’t have existed

It's also been answered here.