• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Exclamation Incorrect answers on this forum

Hello Everyone!

I have been a lurker on this forum for a while now and have benefited from the various discussions here. However, I just had to transition out of lurker status to one of a poster as, with all due apologies, there are several answers that have been given here which are inexcusably incorrect.

For example, some teachers have asserted that there is no difference between analytic and analytical. This is not true. According to wikidiff, analytic is (obviously) related to analytical but "as adjectives the difference between analytic and analytical is that analytic is of, or relating to any form of analysis, or to analytics while analytical is of or pertaining to analysis; resolving into elements or constituent parts; as, an analytical experiment."

Granted that the difference is small and the words are mostly used interchangeably with analytic reserved for more formal communication, this is a forum that is meant to provide the standard for correct usage of English, not approximations.

However, I would have probably let this go but what truly motivated me to actually go through the process of registering here so I could write this post was one of the examples given to reinforce the aforementioned incorrect point by implying that electric and electrical are analogous to analytic and analytical!

First, they are not. According to grammarist, wikidiff, and almost every dictionary that I have ever seen, electric is the correct adjective for something that uses, provides, produces, or transmits electricity or is operated by electricity, while electrical ought to be used for something that relates to or is concerned with electricity. A related adjective, electronic, is appropriate for something that uses transistors or switches to manipulate electrical current within its structure, or by extension for computing and information transmission devices. Examples: electric current, electrical outlet, electronic watch.

Second, shouldn't there be some rules about including references, ideally live permalinks, to established sources which could back up the assertions that are made in response to some of these confusing questions?

I hope that the community will take the above in the spirit intended--which is to make this forum a standard for references on English and to make the advice/answers obtained here reliable for those among us who are confused or new to English.

Best,

S

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Incorrect answers on this forum

Perhaps you could link to the threads you take exception to.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi Barb,

There are several threads with serious problems, but the ones I was thinking of in my original post are as follows:

Thread 1
    Thread 2

Best,

S

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Perhaps you could link to the threads you take exception to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Welcome to the forum, S.

We look forward to receiving your future assistance in answering questions from students and learners, as well as correcting our inexcusible mistakes.

Please remember to state that you are not a teacher when answering questions, in accordance with the forum rules.

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Many thanks Rover.

I appreciate the welcome and look forward to learning new things, while making a few humble suggestions here and there.

Cheers,
    S

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I responded with the links Barb. Here is one again:

Thread

PS: I am not an English teacher!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

That thread was from 2010. Do you think that is helpful?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think Raymott nailed it on that thread:

Most native speakers would not discern a difference in meaning, even though the usage might be slightly different.
    That is a good enough answer for most of the learners who ask questions here. The teachers here all volunteer to answer questions on their free time. A dissertation on minute differences is not always possible.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by sarosh92 View Post
    this is a forum that is meant to provide the standard for correct usage of English, not approximations.
    A forum is a public place for discussions about a topic and there will naturally be differences of opinion on many issues. It is not simply a place to lay down the law. A lot also depends on context- if they are mostly used interchangeably, then would offering a distinction that many would simply not grasp be that helpful?