• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Whether

To convey my question, the meaning of former here, I needed to write the text from the beginning.

Whether international law imposed a duty on States to extradite common criminals was once a highly controversial issue. The fathers of international law did not dispute the efficacy of the practice of extradition but differed as to whether a legal or merely a moral obligation to surrender criminal existed. Grotius took the former view and held that the State of refuge should either puish the criminal itself or hand him back to the State seeking his return.

I believe that we can only use former when we have two opposing options before but I couldn't find them here. I will be grateful if you could.

Thanks,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Whether

Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    I believe that we can only use former when we have two opposing options
    No, they needn't be opposing. They just need to be different.

In the above text, the former refers to the legal obligation, while the latter would be the moral obligation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    No, they needn't be opposing. They just need to be different.

That's right, yes.

In the above text, the former refers to the legal obligation, while the latter would be the moral obligation.

No, based on the whole text the former here refers to Necessary Obligation. I think it has something with the first statement here in the paragraph, not exactly the previous sentence that you mentioned, it must have been whether or not, so former, in this case, refers to Necessary Obligation.
    But however I couldn't say that for sure.
    Thanks for sharing anyway.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    No, based on the whole text the former here refers to Necessary Obligation. I think it has something with the first statement here in the paragraph, not exactly the previous sentence that you mentioned, it must have been whether or not, so former, in this case, refers to Necessary Obligation.
    But however I couldn't say that for sure.
    Thanks for sharing anyway.
    Why are you so dismissive? The answer you were given was correct. The question is whether it is a legal or a formal obligation. The words "Necessary Obligation" don't even appear in your original post. I don't know why you capitalized them. I don't know where they came from.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

It refers to this sentence:
    Whether international law imposed a duty on States to extradite common criminals was once a highly controversial issue.
    Not this sentence:
    The fathers of international law did not dispute the efficacy of the practice of extradition but differed as to whether a legal or merely a moral obligation to surrender criminal existed.

In this case, I said when Grotius took the former view he meant "international law imposed a duty" that means Necessary Obligation.

Please mention if any part is not clear yet.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Of course you might not be in the whole context to judge like that so most respectfully I went to Google and found the original text here (Please see THE DUTY TO EXTRADITE passage, pages: 23-24) to remove any ambiguity. Referring to the whole text you can see the word "former" does not refer to the previous sentence.
    Here my question was is it possible to refer to the " Whether international law imposed a duty on States to extradite common criminals was once a highly controversial issue. " sentene?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The use of "former" and "latter" is not super clear. But the section of the text is very clearly discussing the question of whether States have an obligation to extradite someone in all cases or whether they only have the obligation to do so when there are treaties and statutes that require them.

I believe they are saying that the "former" = "legal" obligation meaning that a State must, by its own law, extradite anyone who is asked for by some other gov't.

The "latter" view = "moral" obligation meaning that a State is only obligated to do so if there exist treaties and statutes to empower any extradition.

It's very confused wording, since the "legal" view is that a treaty is not required, while the "moral" view is that a law/treaty is required.

A few paragraphs down it clearly connects the "latter" view with that of a treaty being required.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

If we go a little more down to the paragraph where the "latter" is discussed (On the other hand, respectable proponents ....), we can see that both 'legal and moral obligations' are the "former" and 'no obligation' is the meaning of "latter".
    Actually I believe that Grotius et al are in the former group and Pufendorf is in the latter group.

If I'm right, then my question is that can we refer to the first statement of mine: "Whether international law imposed a duty on States to extradite common criminals was once a highly controversial issue" as a two-option statement?
    I'd say it is actually a 'whether or not' statement in heart.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Jun-2015 at 22:08. Reason: Deleting unnecessary quote.