• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Sri Lanka

Economic growth has been recorded above 6 per cent in 2007 for first time since 1948

In 2007, the Sri Lankan economy recorded a growth above 6 per cent for the third consecutive year for the first time since 1948.In Sri Lanka, the construction industry is in an upward trend and therefore it has become an attraction among all local and foreign investors.

I changed above paragraph to the following sentence. is it correct?

Economic growth has been recorded above 6 per cent in 2007 for first time since 1948 for successive year.construction industry in Sri Lanka is a reason to attract all the local and foreign investors in this sector.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Economic growth has been recorded above 6 per cent in 2007 for first time since 1

I am sorry to tell you that all of your "improvements" make the passage sound less natural. It wasn't too bad as written, although there were some errors.

1. "recorded above 6 per cent" is a bit unnatural. Simply omitting "recorded" is much better.

2. The phrase "for successive years" is completely unnecessary. It does not add to the meaning.

3. "...sentence. is it correct?" and "for successive year.construction industry". Obvious punctuation errors.

4. "construction industry in Sri Lanka is a reason to attract all the local and foreign investors in this sector." Much better would be "The booming construction industry in Sri Lanka should be attractive to both domestic and foreign investors."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Economic growth has been recorded above 6 per cent in 2007 for first time since 1

I believe the original says that growth has been above 6% since 1948, but this is the first time since 1948 that the rate has been that high for three years in a row.

Don't use "has been" (present perfect) for a specific time in the past (2007).
    The only real problem with the original was "has become an attraction." It's been a long time since 2007 so "has been" sounds off, and "an attraction" is wrong - it's attractive. The upward trend of the construction industry makes it attractive to both local and foreign investors.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.