Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi

My native language is not English, so, sometimes I just don't get the meaning of some simple words, even after checking up the dictionary.

For example, what kind of trousers is the so called "crisp trousers"?

I have checked the dictionary and also "google images", but still couldn't figure it out.

Can anyone help me out? Thank you very much in advance.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please give the entire sentence or context in which you saw or read this phrase.

Without any context, I would say it means trousers that are freshly ironed/pressed.

IQU3838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Sorry, actually the only context is that "she wears a black crisp trousers". But I think you what you said make sense. Thank you very much.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could brand new trousers that are not freshly ironed/pressed be crisp?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, actually the only context is that "she wears a black crisp trousers". But I think you what you said make sense. Thank you very much.

The original sentence is not grammatical - we don't say "a trousers" and, unless talking about a habitual action, the simple present is unnatural. I would expect to hear something like "She is wearing crisp, black trousers" or "She is wearing a pair of crisp, black trousers". Having said all of that, I still find the use of "crisp" very unnatural. I have never heard the word attached to any piece of clothing other than a formal shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.