• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

situated selves

Quote from a Harvard open course:
    Well, letís take a look at a short clip from the documentary, ďEyes on the Prize.Ē Goes back in the 1950ís in the south. Here are some situated American southerners who believe in the tradition, in the shared understandings of segregation. Listen to the arguments they make about loyalty and tradition. See if they donít make you uneasy about tying arguments about justice to the shared understandings or traditions that prevail at any given society at the moment. Letís run the clip.
    Clip: This land is composed of two different cultures, a white culture and a colored culture, and I live close to them all my life. And Iím told now that we mistreated them and that we must change, and these changes are coming faster than I expected, and Iím required to make decisions on a basis of a new way of thinking, and itís difficult. Difficult for me, itís difficult for all southerners.
    Michael Sandel: Well there you have it. Narrative selves, situated selves invoking tradition. Doesnít that show us that justice canít be tied to the shared understandings of goods that prevail in any given community at any given time? Or is there a way of rescuing that claim from this example?
    What does "situated selves" mean here?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: situated selves

The "situated American southerners", i.e. people raised in the south and still living there are portrayed by the author as referring to themselves as "we, our situated selves" for grammatical convenience, although of course they themselves would never use such language. They would simply say "we".
    Last edited by probus; 08-Jun-2015 at 04:56.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: situated selves

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

When you get time, you may wish to google the term "situated self."

I did, and it seems that the term is used by people who study the topic of self-identity.

It is really too difficult for me to understand, but here are a few quotations that I found.

1. One judge on the Supreme Court of the United States defined (many years ago) "situated selves" as "selves defined for purposes of life prospects and social esteem, by the groups to which they belonged."

2. The situated self is the "self that emerges in a particular situation."

3. "The self is a situated self, a self whose identity emerges from the environmental complex in which it lives."

Sources: BIOLOGY AS SOCIETY by Maasen, Mendelsohn, Weingart; DEMOCRACY'S DISCONTENT by Sandel; SOCIOLOGY TEST 2: SOCIALIZATION.
    Last edited by TheParser; 08-Jun-2015 at 13:11.