1. B45

Is this grammatical: She must be a hero down in South Beach. I remember watching bi

Is this grammatical:

She must be a hero down in South Beach. I remember watching Birdcage for the first time and thought that the movie was an exaggeration of the LGBT community over there until I passed by during my cross country trip last year and I couldn't believe what I was seeing... Men in g strings out in public is definitely not a common occurrence.
    Last edited by B45; 07-Jun-2015 at 16:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Is this grammatical: She must be a hero down in South Beach. I remember watchin

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    Is this grammatical:

She must be a hero down in South Beach. I remember watching birdcage for the first time and thought that the movie was an exaggeration of the LGBT community over there until I passed by during my cross country trip last year and I couldn't believe what I was seeing... Men in g strings out in public is definitely not a common occurrence.
    If you mean the movie The Birdcage, then you should write it that way. There's no need for an ellipsis in the last line. I think 'G-strings' is normally spelled like this - though it varies.
    There's some ambiguity in your last sentence. Are you suggesting that you saw men in G-strings out in public, but decided it wasn't common where you were.

3. B45

Re: Is this grammatical: She must be a hero down in South Beach. I remember watchin

I mean men in G-strings in public is just not something you see every day anywhere, right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    I mean men in G-strings in public is just not something you see every day anywhere, right?
    That's what I'm questioning. You certainly don't see it everywhere. But I would bet that there are places where you could see this every day. Maybe the place you saw it was one of those places?

5. B45

Yes, and my friends and I are thinking about moving there. Maybe. Just kidding. Never know.

6. B45

She must be a hero down in South Beach. I remember watching birdcage for the first time and thought that the movie was an exaggeration of the LGBT community over there until I passed by during my/a cross country trip last year and I couldn't believe what I was seeing... Men in g strings out in public is definitely not a common occurrence.

Should it be my or a in this situation? Or it means the same?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think 'passed through' would work better than 'passed by', but you could use either 'my' or 'a' with essentially no difference.