Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would believe ones writing style is enhanced by others, I switched from Google to Firefox and Grammarly only underlines the words, but does not help me redo them. Is the underlines telling me the word is spelled wrong are is the wrong word to use in this sentence? I am beginning to believe that ones writing style is a copy of someones else's (the words Grammarly and else's is underlined in this sentence) unedited. Paul

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Are the underlines telling me the word is spelled wrong or is ...

one's writing style is

Grammarly is underlined because it is not a word. The word is grammatically.

But there is nothing wrong with someone else's. It should not be underlined.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Every single online editor will have problems.

None can read a sentence like a human can, and all will suggest things are mistakes that are not mistakes. And they will often allow the wrong word to go unchallenged because it's a real word. Writing "here" when you mean "hear" or something similar.

Some of the better ones will ask if you're sure you really mean a word -- a word that is a legitimate English word but the wrong one for the context. For example, if you write "your" instead of "you're" it might underline "your" in a different color because it's a real word, but the editor recognizes that it may be the wrong choice.

I do use the spellcheck feature, and I need it. I'm a terrible speller. But I have to use my own judgement when it says a word is wrong because it may be a proper noun or some other bit of jargon that my company uses.

Last edited:

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In underlining, I am pointing out a point with a word or sentence or should I use () instead? With my old web mail Grammarly shows me the wrong words or sentence and how to correct it, but with the new one brmemc.net it just underlines it for spelling purposes. How do I get the old Grammarly back? Edit this please.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should I use underlining or parentheses to highlight words? (I suggest you use italics or bold instead.)

I have no idea how to use Grammarly. You could try calling their tech support, but one of the things people said about them was that their tech support was terrible.

Paul, remember to use paragraphs.

I would have broken this into three paragraphs. The second one starting with "With my..." and the last one being "Edit this, please."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Additionally, Paul, you don't need to finish your posts with your name, but if you choose to, give it its own line, as I have edited it for you above.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a private message, another user suggested I was in error when I wrote my last point by placing a period after "... into three paragraphs."

My writing style (when not writing for work) makes deliberate use of fragments. This may cause confusion for learners who may have expected a colon instead of a period.

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is a legtimate English word? Wouldn't the basic core or history of a word work? Why have synonyms if the word does not fit within the sentence? That's my biggest problem which is the correct word to use in a sentence? Is it a sin to make a mistake when writing? I to am a horrible speller and I could get hooked on a speller helper and I am not sure that's for me. Paul

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Did you read my post #7, Paul?

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes I understand.
Paul

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should I keep writing if I do not understand verbs and nouns because I will always put the wrong word in the sentence. I now believe the first sentence is correct to me but maybe not to the reader. As I have said I use Grammarly and it is a great help to me. Thoughts? Paul

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As a reader, I have no difficulty in understanding your sentences. As an imaginative reader, I think I can guess what you actually wanted to say when your punctuation or spelling (or anything else) fails you. Strictly speaking, your first sentence calls for a question mark at the end. However, apart from purely grammatical issues, I'd think, you must know better whether to keep on writing or not.

Generally, one writes when one has something to share and an audience to share whatever he (she) has with. In real life it all can get a bit compilcated, though. For example, right now I think I have something to tell you but not sure if this something is what you are looking for, so I am trying to employ various word compinations, cliches, sentence structures to sound both polite and meaningful. I believe I am pretty good at classifying nouns, verbs, articles etc. (which, to my great disappointment, never protects me from occasional mistakes) Still, all this linguistic stuff is of no use if what I want to say simply does not interest you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thoughts? Paul
If you understand (post #11), why have you not done what I suggested?

Esgaleth wrote
Generally, one writes when one has something to share and an audience to share whatever he (she) has with.
Good point, Esgaleth.

Paul, who are you writing for? Who is going to read your work?

Last edited:

Paul James

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Paul, who are you writing for? Who is going to read your work?

I asked both those questions ages ago in another one of your threads. You didn't answer me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.