Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think things are better when it is understandable.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Since your thread has been moved to the "General Discussions" forum, I guess that we are allowed to discuss things that are slightly off topic. (In the "Ask a Teacher" forum, it was necessary to discuss only the function of "to feed my cat.")

Another poster told us that you are a native speaker. So I just wanted to congratulate on your interest in grammar.

As you will know from experience, VERY few native speakers have any interest in grammar, let alone in analyzing what they say and write.

Personally speaking, I hope that you will continue to question any grammar construction that puzzles you. If nothing else, it's a great hobby.

Thanks to you, whenever I read something now, I stop when I come to an infinitive and ask myself: "How is that infinitive being used?"

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
VERY few native speakers have any interest in grammar
My sister, an English teacher, once told me that native speakers could speak fluently without having to think about grammar──or words to that effect. Is that the case?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is that the case?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I, of course, do not have the answer, but your sister's statement seems to be spot on.

Most Americans now say, "It is me.," for that's what most Americans say, rule or no rule.

More and more Americans seem to be saying something like, "They bought a gift for my wife and I.," rule or no rule.

Very few Americans seem to care (or even notice) if you say, "I have less friends than you.," rule or no rule.

And -- the greatest "horror" of all -- many Americans do not seem the least embarrassed to say something like "Me and friend went to Disneyland.," rule or no rule.

Can we define the term "native speaker" as someone who does NOT think about grammar before opening the mouth?

You will notice that most members who post questions in the "Ask a Teacher" forum are not interested in terminology -- but how to use the language in an effective and natural manner.

P.S. Speaking of rules, I am sure that some writing teachers went bananas because of where I placed the comma in " '.....to Disneyland.,' rule or no rule." I have seen the comma so placed in many reputable American magazines, so I have adopted their "rule."

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's true, that not a lot of people are interested in grammar. I got to thank you all and god for having people like you who can help and are interested in good things like this. I hope y'all get blessed/lucky and get good things in life. Do you guys think we're done with this topic?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I guess he means the grammar term, but I am not a teacher.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess he means the grammar term, but I am not a teacher.

Well, at least I have a better understanding of infinitive function. Thanks to those who listen and made it more understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.