Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Hello everyone!

i really need your help.
I need to intone the following text ( drawing the intonogram: including low head, middle, high,etc....) . The description of the text will be great also ( why exactly this patter is used, for example: the speaker A is very nervous, or calm or surprised etc. ).

Miss Tooley: How do you think we ought to start?

J. D.: My idea is this.

Suppose we just say a few ordinary sentences. After that we'll go back again and notice how we've said them and what sort of tunes we've used, and then we'll try to make some clear and general rule about them.

Miss Tooley: Yes, that's a good idea. Now the first thing I said was this: "How do you think we ought to start?" I wonder if the listeners can hear the tune? "How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: You see, listeners, that sentence starts on a fairly high note and it continues on that same note until it reaches the word "ought". Just listen.

Miss Tooley: "How — How do you think we — How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: Like that, you see. The word "ought" is said on a slightly . lower note, and the sentence continues on that lower note until it gets to the very last syllable.

Miss Tooley: "How do you think we ought to start? How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: Again, you see, the word "start" is on a slightly lower note and not only that, it falls as you say it: "start — start".

Miss Tooley: Yes, it does. It falls right down to the bottom of my voice, listen: "How do you think we ought to start? How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: So the sentence is really in three parts, corresponding to the number of stressed syllables: "how" , followed by four weak syllables; then "ought" followed by one weak syllable; and lastly, "start" followed by nothing at all.

Miss Too ley: How do you think we — ought to — start?

J. D.: We can make a good rule out of that. In sentences like this, the first stressed syllable and any weak, or unstressed syllables following it, are said on a fairly, high note; the second stressed syllable, and any more weak syllables after that, are said on a slightly lower note, and the same with the third, and the fourth, and so on, until you come to the last stressed syllable of all, which not only begins on a lower note than the previous one, but also falls right down until it can scarcely be heard at all. Well, now we must go back to the beginning, and see if our rule works for some of our other sentences.

P.S the intonogram should looks like that :((((

1135_html_1388d854.jpg

KsenijaB

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Hello everyone!

i really need your help.
I need to intone the following text ( drawing the intonogram: including low head, middle, high,etc....) . The description of the text will be great also ( why exactly this patter is used, for example: the speaker A is very nervous, or calm or surprised etc. ).

Miss Tooley: How do you think we ought to start?

J. D.: My idea is this.

Suppose we just say a few ordinary sentences. After that we'll go back again and notice how we've said them and what sort of tunes we've used, and then we'll try to make some clear and general rule about them.

Miss Tooley: Yes, that's a good idea. Now the first thing I said was this: "How do you think we ought to start?" I wonder if the listeners can hear the tune? "How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: You see, listeners, that sentence starts on a fairly high note and it continues on that same note until it reaches the word "ought". Just listen.

Miss Tooley: "How — How do you think we — How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: Like that, you see. The word "ought" is said on a slightly . lower note, and the sentence continues on that lower note until it gets to the very last syllable.

Miss Tooley: "How do you think we ought to start? How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: Again, you see, the word "start" is on a slightly lower note and not only that, it falls as you say it: "start — start".

Miss Tooley: Yes, it does. It falls right down to the bottom of my voice, listen: "How do you think we ought to start? How do you think we ought to start?"

J. D.: So the sentence is really in three parts, corresponding to the number of stressed syllables: "how" , followed by four weak syllables; then "ought" followed by one weak syllable; and lastly, "start" followed by nothing at all.

Miss Too ley: How do you think we — ought to — start?

J. D.: We can make a good rule out of that. In sentences like this, the first stressed syllable and any weak, or unstressed syllables following it, are said on a fairly, high note; the second stressed syllable, and any more weak syllables after that, are said on a slightly lower note, and the same with the third, and the fourth, and so on, until you come to the last stressed syllable of all, which not only begins on a lower note than the previous one, but also falls right down until it can scarcely be heard at all. Well, now we must go back to the beginning, and see if our rule works for some of our other sentences.

P.S the intonogram should looks like that :((((

1135_html_1388d854.jpg

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't do your homework for you.

This "intonogram" seems to be bizarre to me. I'm not sure what they are trying to teach you.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Reminds me of homework we used to enjoy quite a few years back from now. ;-)

Why don't you want to have a go first?

Status
Not open for further replies.