• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Exclamation communicating in another tongue is challenging and needs devoted training and practic

"In my country, I donít have to go through learning a new language and this is a plus, but if I travel abroad learning a second language would be imperative. Some see this as a great opportunity, but to me, it is more work than I can handle since communicating in another tongue is challenging and needs devoted training and practice. The future is vague, and Iíll have to choose my path, sooner or later."

Source: My teacher's book(Speaking IELTS)

Can I use 'gerund' after go through?! because in dictionary is it defined as follow:
    go through something
    Is it better to write 'go through the process of learning a new language' or 'go through learning a new language'?

another question: The usage of devoted training is correct and natural for learning new language?!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: communicating in another tongue is challenging and needs devoted training and pra

Quote Originally Posted by nininaz View Post
    Can I use a gerund after go through?! Because in the dictionary it is defined as follows:
    go through something
    You certainly can use a gerund after go through. However, I am pretty sure the dictionary didn't use the term to define it.

Is it better to write 'go through the process of learning a new language' or 'go through learning a new language'?
    Either is OK.

Another question: The usage of devoted training is correct and natural for learning new language?!
    It certainly is. It means you have made a commitment of time and energy. It means you are willing to do what's necessary to accomplish your goal.

~Ron