Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The semi-new fishing-rod sits used and exhausted. It has been through thick and thin, though, the rod still stands. Evaporated salt coats the exterior; yet the interior, coated with oil, is pristine. Despite its malformed looks; it retains a bit of luck. As the fishermen say: lets use it one more time; to see if it will give us a bit of luck.

Below is a revised version after your input. I also added more structure to this brief descriptive essay.

topic: a fishing rod

The semi-new fishing rod sits in an empty garage, used and exhausted. It has been through thick and thin, though the rod still stands. Salt coats the exterior of a weather beaten reel, yet the interior, coated with oil, is pristine. Despite its malformed looks, it retains a bit of luck.

The rod guides appear rusted and dainty; they are straight and aligned. They're anchored by strands of fiberglass; stronger than steel. Some have torn from their anchor points, but still remain functional.

As a whole, it represents a work-of-art, a masterpiece; a divine thing designed to capture a divine mammal.

As a whole, it will only last a while, but will retain its luck. This luck will become part of another, and so on.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The semi-new fishing (no hyphen) rod sits (where?), used and exhausted. It has been through thick and thin, though(,) the rod still stands. Evaporated salt coats the exterior, yet the interior, coated with oil, is pristine. Despite its malformed looks, it retains a bit of luck. As the fishermen say: let's use it one more time to see if it will give us a bit of luck.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use the hyphen in semi-new. I don't see a need for a word after "sits".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"It has been through thick and thin, though, the rod still stands" doesn't work with that punctuation.

It has been through thick and thin yet the rod still stands.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

What's 'evaporated salt'?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assume it meant salt water.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was probably a crust of salt, left behind when the water evaporated.

jesco

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am responding to bump as well as apologize for duplicating a post. I think my mistake was the title. I used the exact same title and posted my revised content as well as extra structure to the essay.

There is no such thing as evaporated salt, but there is such a thing as evaporated salt water, which yields salt. I revised my essay and added extra structure..is that allowed? lol.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Not evaporated saltwater.

Salt deposit from seawater maybe, or are there better suggestions?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would simply say "Salt coats the outside". I'm not familiar with fishing rods so I don't really understand how it can have an exterior and an interior.

jesco

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're right. Oil does not coat the interior of a rod, it coats the interior of a reel. I forgot to implement that. Woops

Status
Not open for further replies.