• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Questions about certain cultural references

I was watching the following video on YouTube, "Clueless Gamer: Conan Reviews "Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare" - CONAN on TBS," and there were a couple of what seemed to me cultural references that I could not understand even after some hard googling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b82idSYHSu8
    Starting at 6:48, Conan says,

"If I had a robot left hand, let's just say I never would've left my dorm room in college. A shabba dabba de..."
    First of all, what does he mean when he says he never would have left his dorm room in college if he had a robot arm? What does a robot arm have anything to do with not leaving his dorm room? Many people laughed when he said that, so he must have been referring to something certain.

I think many of the jokes in English utilize obscenity (I know not everyone agrees with me, it's just my opinion), and from that standpoint, Conan might have meant he'd be too busy masturbating with his robot arm to get out. But then again, I am only making a wild guess.

Second, what exactly is a "shabba dabba de"?

There's another cultural reference Conan makes at 6:57.

"Hey, Gideon, the Edge called. He wants his hat back. Zing!"
    Again, the audience crack up at this reference.

Who are Gideon and the Edge? What exactly does "Zing!" mean here?

I know it's a long video, and I am asking a lot of questions. So... thank you very much in advance.

- HKB

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Questions about certain cultural references

Yes, the robotic arm joke is a reference to masturbation. A robotic arm would never get tired, so he could pleasure himself without getting tired.

"shabba dabba de" is just a nonsensical noise, meant to mimic the sound a robot might make.

Gideon is the name of the character. If you look closely, you'll see his name in front of him on the screen at 6:56.

The Edge is a reference to a professional wrestler who goes by the stage name "Edge". Not only does the video game character look a little like him, Edge often wears that same black ski cap.

So it's a joke that the game character of Gideon looks and dresses like Edge.

Finally, "zing" is just a sound people make sometimes to imply that they have made a really good insult or joke. We get the noun 'zinger' from this interjection.

"That joke was a real zinger."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: Questions about certain cultural references

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    The Edge is a reference to a professional wrestler who goes by the stage name "Edge". Not only does the video game character look a little like him, Edge often wears that same black ski cap.
    I am not a teacher.

I've never heard of the wrestler you mentioned, but I have heard of 'The Edge', a.k.a. David Howell Evans, the guitarist with U2. He always wears that sort of woolen hat, which isn't a ski cap.