Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never heard the universal language before. I might look it up.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since you mentioned God, I'm assuming your question stems from the Bible and the story of the tower of Babel. Interestingly enough, the are similar stories in other religions so the myth isn't unique just to Judeo-Christian religions. (Brahma does something similar in Hindu lore.)

My question came from me thinking that there is so many words for 1 thing. I believe there is a god but I don't believe in images like my grandfather told my mother one day. Speaking of god, has anyone heard about the third Solomon temple being built? My younger brother told me about it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a language forum and your original post was about language. However, if you wish to move on to theological discussions, please start a new thread in the General Member Discussions section.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't really got the answer about all language having verbs, nouns, adjective etc. but I will try to know. Should I put sites I know?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't really got the answer about all language having verbs, nouns, adjective etc. but I will try to know. Should I put sites I know?

I haven't heard of a language that doesn't use these, though they may use them in very different ways and I cannot speak for all languages. Also, the categories themselves are not absolutes- we have things like gerunds, which are verbs used as nouns, and present and past participle verb forms can be used as adjectives.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not a fan of Chomsky.

He's unavoidable as a linguist, though. Whether you agree or disagree with him, he is huge, simply because of the challenges he throws out, which take some refuting. His second career is a different beast.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There have been many scholars who have challenged and refuted his theories. At this point, he seems to be nothing more than a historical figure.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Do they have verb, noun, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and adjective? It's kinda strange how we are all humans but we have different languages.

There is a school of thought according to which there are certain grammatical features which are shared by all languages. To me this makes good sense, given, for example, that you can't think of many grammatical persons beyond the first (person speaking) the second (person he or she is speaking to) and the third person (someone not addressed but being spoken about). In short, the laws of physics, and the facts of pragmatics, force all language users into certain types of convention.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
we have things like gerunds, which are verbs used as nouns, and present and past participle verb forms can be used as adjectives.

yeah, I think gerunds are used differently in Spanish like I think they don't use present tense when they use gerunds.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He's unavoidable as a linguist, though. Whether you agree or disagree with him, he is huge, simply because of the challenges he throws out, which take some refuting. His second career is a different beast.

To me, Even if someone is huge they might be wrong sometimes.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does every language has the same question and wh questions?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Similarities between languages are the exception, not the norm.

Some languages form questions simply by intonation, others with clitics, others with case endings, others by word order, others with affixes - there are dozens if not hundreds of ways of forming questions.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Similarities between languages are the exception, not the norm.

Some languages form questions simply by intonation, others with clitics, others with case endings, others by word order, others with affixes - there are dozens if not hundreds of ways of forming questions.

Spanish have wh questions though. Are you saying some languages don't have wh questions?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it highly likely that many don't.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, Even if someone is huge they might be wrong sometimes.

Definitely, but that doesn't mean that they're not still worth reading, and in Chomsky's case, I feel that many of his ideas are good.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Definitely, but that doesn't mean that they're not still worth reading, and in Chomsky's case, I feel that many of his ideas are good.

I think I will read some then.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can every language be translated?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure, if you know both languages.

If you're asking if there are languages nobody understands, yes. There are some ancient languages that haven't been deciphered yet, because all the people who spoke them have been dead for thousands of years.

...p

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can every language be translated?

I think every modern language can be translated, but not always this can be exact translation. Exactly because these languages have different grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.