Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does every language have the same grammar?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, the other languages which I use, Chinese and Malay for example, do not have tenses and subject-verb agreement like English.
But this is not a question on English language.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do they have verb, noun, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and adjective? It's kinda strange how we are all humans but we have different languages.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not strange at all. Languages develop differently and independent of one another. Just because one language uses articles (for example), there's no reason to think that all others should. You seem to be suggesting that "Human" should be a language. If that were the case, we would presumably all use the same words, not just the same grammar.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I'm saying we might have came from one parent and we started to use different languages after spreading, in my mind.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That still doesn't mean that every one of those languages, with their thousands of years of evolution, would end up with the same grammar.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does every language have verb, noun, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and adjective?

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That still doesn't mean that every one of those languages, with their thousands of years of evolution, would end up with the same grammar.

It looks like some people don't like simple things.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Does every language have the same grammar?
It doesn't seem to make any sense if they did. The basic idea of this universe is that anything with a specific name differs from all the rest, no matter how huge or subtle the difference might be. Why do you ask?

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't seem to make any sense if they did. The basic idea of this universe is that anything with a specific name differs from all the rest, no matter how huge or subtle the difference might be. Why do you ask?

To me, there are so many words for one thing. Not to be rude but you don't know what the universe really wants because you didn't create it and you aren't the only one living in it, I believe. I Hope I didn't sound disrespectful.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you don't know what the universe wants either. That is assuming that the universe is capable of wanting.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you don't know what the universe wants either. That is assuming that the universe is capable of wanting.

Never said I did. You are right when you said this universe is capabale of wanting because everybody wants something like someone wants something that others don't want and others don't want what others want.

Last edited:

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To me, there are so many words for one thing. Not to be rude but you don't know what the universe really wants because you didn't create it and you aren't the only one living in it, I believe. I Hope I didn't sound disrespectful.
And to me, the number of words is of no relevance provided the words are in some sort of order, either in a language or in one's head.
Whoever or whatever you consider the reason for this world, it's very human to look around and notice things. A curious mind will go even further trying to look into the nature of things, and that should call for some sort of classification or, at the very least, naming things. You just need to hang out for a while to get the big picture.
Finally, yes, hope dies last. ;-)

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for trying to understand, Esgaleth and everyone who replied. To me, in life, there is only everything/everybody's thoughts and emotions, nature, and the one who created the universe, which is god.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
No, I'm saying we might have came from one parent and we started to use different languages after spreading, in my mind.

There are large language families, but no one has managed to synthesise a single origin for all of them, so it probably arose in different places. Some linguists talk about a Universal Grammar which exists in our heads, which is then adapted to fit the rules of the language(s) a child is learning. It doesn't mean that all languages share the same top-level grammar, but suggests that if you go deep enough you can find the options that allow us to learn individual grammars.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since you mentioned God, I'm assuming your question stems from the Bible and the story of the tower of Babel. Interestingly enough, the are similar stories in other religions so the myth isn't unique just to Judeo-Christian religions. (Brahma does something similar in Hindu lore.)

There is a field of linguistics referred to as historical linguistics, and as Tdol mentioned, there are those who are trying to prove the existence of a universal language, or monogenesis.

To learn more about the concept of Universal Grammar, do some research into the work and writings of Noam Chomsky. He's generally credited with the concept.

It is generally accepted that most Indo-European languages have derived from a larger initial language referred to As Proto-Indo-European, although there are some languages, referred to as language isolates, that can't be connected to PIE.

There is speculation on a Proto-Word, language, but that's just speculation and not widely accepted, as is PIE.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a fan of Chomsky.

Status