• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

squeamish ?

Hello dear teachers,
    Could you help me with the search of a word, please?
    I'm looking for the right word, which describes a person who is easily disgusted. For example, who wouldn't wear someone else's clothes with out washing it first or if they saw not very clean glass in a restaurant. It's maybe little bit exaggerating but I don't know the better way to describe that.
    I have looked at two words but non of them gives me the exact meaning in translation into my language . The words are:

SQUEAMISH and PICKY

The meaning really has something to do with hygiene but not up to the point of a phobia like. Just where someone would say something like "That's disgusting!'" and wouldn't touch something they thought was disgusting.
    Maybe there is another word which describes that better?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: squeamish ?

Fussy.
    A fusspot.
    They have OCD (although that's a bit close to a phobia which you wanted to steer clear of).
    Clean freak.

"Squeamish" doesn't really work because that's usually reserved for people who don't like the sight of blood and gore - it makes them feel sick. I don't think that has anything to do with cleanliness or hygiene.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Re: squeamish ?

Not A Teacher

Squeamish is define by the Oxford Dictionary as "Easily made to feel sick or disgusted".

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...lish/squeamish

Some people are squeamish about the sight of blood and gore but someone could also be disgusted by something that is dirty.