My forum member calls me ignorant and stupid when I defended Caitlyn Jenner's transfo

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

My forum member calls me ignorant and stupid when I defended Caitlyn Jenner's transformation. I say:

What does my character and intelligence have to do with anything?

Why is it does and not do? Is it because does is aiding my and not character and intelligence?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "do".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me, it does not match the subject in number, but I suspect many people would use it.

B

B45

If it doesn't match the subject in number than it's grammatically wrong. Would native speakers use it as well?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I believe they would. Native speakers don't always go by the book. You need "then" instead of "than".

B

B45

Yes, I believe they would. Native speakers don't always go by the book. You need "then" instead of "than".

If it doesn't match the subject in number then it's grammatically wrong.

I guess native speakers would use the singular instead of the plural when the subjects not as different or I don't know what the case is..? But still doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having grammar altogether?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Subject-verb agreement is not set in stone and does not determine the entirety of grammar.

B

B45

I understand that it doesn't represent all of grammar but what's the point of having rules if even native speakers don't follow it?

So, my question is simply this - is the underlined sentence grammatical?

What does my character and intelligence have to do with anything?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Asked and answered.

B

B45

So, why can't I just say this from now on -

What's the point of rules if people doesn't follow them.

or

That guy over there have a gun!

or

Even native speakers doesn't follow grammar rules.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say whatever you like. That has nothing to do with me.

B

B45

Yes, I understand what you mean but as a native English speaker don't you feel like proper grammar and good English should be preserved?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The thing about languages is that they constantly change. One can rail against a particular change all one wants, but once something becomes widely used and accepted there isn't much to be done to prevent it.

Native speakers of a language have the freedom to change the language as they see fit. You may get corrected by other native speakers, or they may adopt your usage.

Probably the reason some people would say 'what does' instead of 'what do', is that it isn't as clearly wrong as 'that guy have a gun'. Since it's a compound subject, it isn't as blatantly wrong to the ear. That second subject is spaced out enough it's easy to miss the subject verb agreement, whereas a singular subject is immediately noticeable.

I know I've caught myself making the same mistake, even as a native speaker.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And some people may view the compound subject as a unit. One cannot legislate usage.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, the French try to....

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I agree with the explanations given above.

Another factor to consider is, that when speaking, the entirety of the sentence is rarely fully planned in advance. You could start a sentence with the intention of saying, 'What does my character have to do with anything?' and as you're saying it you add, 'and intelligence'. This is quite common. The same person putting it in writing would probably make the verb agree in number with the subject.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm more interested in why "character" is included in that sentence. Ignorance and IQ are not character issues, unless a person stays willfully ignorant and refuses to consider facts in evidence.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would guess that the character reference was made as slight or insult against the person's beliefs.

If somebody was against a particular lifestyle or orientation and was offended by someone else admiring or defending that lifestyle/orientation, then they'd likely insult their intelligence as well as question their character. The insinuation being that they too must pursue that lifestyle since they're admiring or defending that person.

If you don't like or believe in something, then it's pretty common to declare that anybody supporting it must have a character flaw.

Not necessarily saying it's good logic, just something that's commonly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.