Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"percentage" seems to be treated as singular or plural without any fixed rule. How can you define its plurality? When does it take a singular form and when plural, especially in case of "A of B" form?

=====================
It is said that a music student once approached Mozart and asked him for advice on what he should compose and how he should do it to create something really good. Mozart took a good look at him and said, "You are still young. I think you should start with composing a duet." This young man got upset and told Mozart that he too was still young, and that since he had composed more serious music than duets, why shouldn't he? Mozart replied, "That is true, but I did not go around asking people what to compose. I knew what to do." The point is that many have attempted to create great art, but only a very tiny p
ercentage have become true masters.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If you're referring to the percentage number, then treat it as singular.

The percentage of infant mortality is considered quite high by most health authorities in that country.

If you're referring to the actual thing that the percentage represents, then treat it as plural.

A high percentage of elderly residents have substandard services.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You example expresses the rule that a word that is a part of a whole derives its number from the object of the preposition that follows it. It is a good and useful rule. But it doesn't really apply to the OP's sentence. One could argue that there is an elided prepositional phrase after "percentage".

Status
Not open for further replies.