Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's turn lemons into lemonade! I see a future in a new venture: UsingKorean.com! :up: I nominate Red5 to be the Webmaster! ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As long as you're in charge of spam clearance. :up:

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Since the new measures seem to be working I have removed the block on S Korean visitors in the hope that real users can regain access. If this starts letting in spam again I'll have to reinstate the ban. Please check back here for updates.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I know it's early days, but it does appear to be working so far.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Knock on wood, but it seems to be very effective.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Can classes of IP addresses be used rather than the whole country, if it happens again? Meaning, all of Seoul, Busan, and Incheon being blocked is only 1% as symbolically sensitive as doing all of S. Korea.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As they were using so many different IPs, I think that was the only way to stop the torrent.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Guess we're not the only ones.

It's been quite a while since I've visited the Mr. Excel forums, but when I popped in earlier tonight to get some help on a thorny Excel problem I'm having, it turns out they've been hit with the same spammers we had.

From the dates on the outraged user posts, it appears it has only struck there in the last few days.

I first thought was that I'd somehow logged back into this forum by accident, and they'd somehow slipped back in here in mass. I said several nasty words.

Then I realized I was actually in the Excel forum and had a sinking feeling of deja vu. Recognized several of the same links they were posting here, and so I said several more bad words.

I suspect my post over there may get lost - they're just getting hit by the onslaught and don't seem to have a good handle on it yet. They're still trying to manually delete all posts, and don't want to block domains yet. I laughed at that one.

Surely must be a special level of hell for spammers, just not sure if Dante would consider them as Fraud or Treachery.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Maybe they are efficient enough to move on when things get difficult for them. We haven't had them back recently. I'm afraid that they're very good at what they do, so manual deletion won't cut the mustard.

Status
Not open for further replies.